Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Annoying clogged milk duct

Default Annoying clogged milk duct

For the past 2 months I have had a reoccurring clogged milk duct. My DD usually manages to unclog it, but then a week later, it clogs again. To unclog it I use warm compression before and after I nurse her and pump when I have to. But my question is how can I stop it from clogging up again. I think I have a overgrowth of skin on a duct so it manages to seal closed repeatedly. Ive tried scraping off the skin but it is very painful and I dont want any infections. I only use this breast to nurse her so i am very reliant on it. This has become very painful and a nuisance and would like to know how I can get this thing completely resolved.

Thank you for your inputs and advice.
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Big Brother Evan 3 years old 03/30/08 for 7 months

Constantly , at work, loves to all the time

Please excuse my typos!

Default Re: Annoying clogged milk duct

You might want to try taking a soy lecithin supplement, getting a different bra (sometimes an ill-fitting bra can put pressure on a duct), and varying your nursing position.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    You might want to try taking a soy lecithin supplement, getting a different bra (sometimes an ill-fitting bra can put pressure on a duct), and varying your nursing position.
    What is soy lecithin supplement? And where can I get that? Yes, I have tried different positions and was wondering if changing my nursing pads might help??
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Please excuse my typos!

i don't think a clogged duct starts from the skin on the breast. it starts from with in the duct.
    you are doing all the right things, warm compress and keeping the breast comfortably soft.
    Maybe changing your breastpads will help. It can't hurt.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

You can find soy lecithin in health food stores. It's supposed to help with plugged ducts. IDK if it really works or not but it's another thing that can't hurt.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have something like that. This one particular duct clogs constantly. And yes, if the PORE clogs up with skin, like a milk bleb, it can back up in the duct. But that's a clogged milk pore, and you have to treat that to make it go away..and that involves opening it up and then changing your baby's latch to keep the friction from hitting that area the same way every time after that.

For example, when I have a nursling, somewhere usually around 2-3 months, I start getting lazy. I get lazy with the latch, and I get lazy about rolling over to make sure baby gets both sides. And around that time frame, baby is big enough that I can just lean over and get baby to nurse from the top breast as I lay on my side ( breastfeeding works for me because it's the laziest way to feed a baby!) and I can sleep through it. But what that means is that there is this one area on my nipple that gets friction in an odd way, and it makes a callus form right over a pore, and that duct blocks up. Every single time. And it even happened this time while EPing!! I got the horn on in an odd way, but it rubbed, and yep, that pore plugged up and that duct blocks up a lot.

Try the soy lecithin, cut saturated fats in your diet (like a bowl of ice cream can worsen them), look at how things put pressure on your ducts (even babywearing can do it -- I had one sling that put baby's head in a position that always helped plug it up) and check your latch. Wool nursing pads also helped me a lot. I found those after my first baby, one in which I had plugged ducts for pretty much the first 10 months, and only had a handful for my second, all related to my lazy latch
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*aprilsmagic View Post
    I have something like that. This one particular duct clogs constantly. And yes, if the PORE clogs up with skin, like a milk bleb, it can back up in the duct. But that's a clogged milk pore, and you have to treat that to make it go away..and that involves opening it up and then changing your baby's latch to keep the friction from hitting that area the same way every time after that.
    Try the soy lecithin, cut saturated fats in your diet (like a bowl of ice cream can worsen them), look at how things put pressure on your ducts (even babywearing can do it -- I had one sling that put baby's head in a position that always helped plug it up) and check your latch. Wool nursing pads also helped me a lot. I found those after my first baby, one in which I had plugged ducts for pretty much the first 10 months, and only had a handful for my second, all related to my lazy latch
    Yes, I think you are right. I think it's more of a clogged milk pore that clogs the duct. It's very annoying. I can manage to open the overgrowth but it continues to shut close. It looks like a white pimple. I never had this with my DS. The only difference I can think of is that I started using a different nursing pad. I noticed that the pad would stick to my nipple so maybe it is that what's causing it to not heal properly? But I will try the soy lecithin and the position I use to get her to open the pore. Thanks for your advices.
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Please excuse my typos!

Have you tried using an ointment like polysporin to encourage the bleb to heal without closing over again? Also, perhaps try frequent applications of heat (like a bath or a hot wet washcloth), on a prophylactic basis, to try to help that area heal without creating another bleb.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Have you tried using an ointment like polysporin to encourage the bleb to heal without closing over again? Also, perhaps try frequent applications of heat (like a bath or a hot wet washcloth), on a prophylactic basis, to try to help that area heal without creating another bleb.
    Do this too. It does help.

All this said, I have one I got when I was pregnant with my second pregnancy! It never really went away entirely but just got worse with every child where I get lazy. Teething made it worse too. I thought I would be home free this time, and nope...it's there, even though I EP and it really hurt this time. I keep opening it up, and it's slowly getting better now because I'm very careful with the horns now.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    I haven't tried any ointments...where can I get this? I am so clueless on ointments and soy lecithin. Ok so continue to use warm compressions and so obviously soy lecithin won't affect my milk supply or you won't be suggesting it and wipe off the polysporin before lo feeds? Is that right?

Thank you all for your help. Again, never had this with my first and this is so new to me.
    Mommy to Evan and Lauren

Lauren
    Born 03/04/11
    Weight 6lbs 15oz
    1 month 8lbs 2oz
    2 months 11lbs 15oz
    4 month 14lbs 13oz

Please excuse my typos!