Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bowel Movements

Exclamation Bowel Movements

My son is a week old today...We have latch problems so currently I am pumping for him. He is being supplemented with formula. While in the hospital he had almost all formula due to his latching problems. He did not have any problems with his bowel movements while in the hospital. When we came home and more of my milk started to come in, he has started having loose forceful stools. While I expected loose stools I did not expect him to have projectile stools (for lack of a better description). I called the pediatrician and they want me to supplement with Soy formula. But I don't believe it's a problem with the formula because he had no trouble until he started to take more breast milk. Anyone that can help I'd really appreciate it. I want to keep breast feeding but I don't know exactly how to change whatever is not right.

Default Re: Bowel Movements

Do they think he has a milk allergy? Are they green, frothy or mucousy?

I'd love to know too. We have explosive stools as well but are brown. I keep thinking there's a little mucous but all the allergy things I've seen say it's green and frothy when it's an allergy...

Our baby has a dirty diaper once every 2-3 days and then it's explosive and huge...it usually fills up the diaper and sometimes explodes outside the diaper We are at 11 weeks now but it's been similar since the beginning when we got home. Same whether I formula or breast feed.

- Mel

They are brown, seedy and watery. Nothing was said about a milk allergy.

I'm sorry. What was the reasoning behind giving him soy formula?

Mucous can also indicate that there may be an allergy.

Projectile stools sound pretty normal for a breastfed baby. I mean, when my EBF kids pooped, it sounded like (sorry, this is gonna be gross!) someone was squirting some sort of thick liquid out of a squeeze bottle. And it wasn't uncommon for poop to fountain right out the back of the diaper. (Switching to a larger size of disposable diaper or just using cloth will solve that problem.)

As long as the baby is gaining weight well and seems healthy, I don't know that I would see this as a problem. I think a lot of people are a bit weirded out by the consistency of breastmilk poops, particularly when contrasted with formula poops. Breast milk poops are generally quite loose, whereas formula poops are more solid.

I have no idea what soy formula would do to fix this problem- if it is a problem at all!

I agree with you that in that I don't believe switching to soy is going to help. I didn't worry a whole lot about the stools until his bottom became raw from having soany stools. I felt so bad for my little guy. I thought maybe it's something I'm eating.

Aw, poor little bottom!

There's normal diaper rash and then there's yeast rash: http://www.babycenter.com/0_yeast-diaper-rash_10913.bc

The yeast diaper rash looks more like what he has than regular diaper rash. But what causes the yeast diaper rash? Is it something that I'm eating or need to change? Thanks for your help!