Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Did you encounter bottle preference once returning to work?

Default Did you encounter bottle preference once returning to work?

I will be going back to work in a week...my DS will be 15 weeks old. He had bottle preference in the first month since I introduced bottles by mistake. As soon as I noticed that it was interfering with breastfeeding, I worked hard to eliminate them. It took us about 7 weeks to go to EBF so that now he does not get any bottles.

I am concerned that reintroducing bottles will cause bottle preference and he will not take the breast again. The IBCLC said that he is older now and should not have a problem coming back to the breast at night, but I am worried. I would like to know if anyone encoutered a change in breastfeeding once returning to work.

I have BreastFlow bottles and Born Free bottles. I would like to use the Born Free since they are so much easier to use than the BreastFlow, but if I see any change in BF patterns I will use the BreastFlow. I will most likely miss 3 feedings of 4oz each.

Does your LO take the breast ok when you come home? Do they prefer the breast or the bottles? Any suggestions on how to continue the BF relationship would help!

Default Re: Did you encounter bottle preference once returning to work?

I went back to work at 6 weeks with this LO. He took the bottles fine, but always wanted to cluster feed when I got home. I am a teacher, so I stopped for the summer. When I have gone back for teacher training days he has been more reluctant to take bottles than before but made up for it when I got home.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

No bottle preference here. I went back to work at 14 weeks. I think your LC has the right idea.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My LO never had a bottle preference. I went back to work at 12 weeks. Just make it a rule: your baby gets bottles when you are not there and breastfeeds when you are there.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*scienceteachermommy View Post
    I went back to work at 6 weeks with this LO. He took the bottles fine, but always wanted to cluster feed when I got home. I am a teacher, so I stopped for the summer. When I have gone back for teacher training days he has been more reluctant to take bottles than before but made up for it when I got home.
    This is basically my situation (I also teach). I went back at nine weeks (although I dropped in on Tuesday and Thursday at three weeks for finals so that I could be the one to wrap up the semester; however I brought my son with me). He got bottles while I was at work then nursed like a mad man when I got home. Now that I've been off for the summer and nursing exclusively, mine is much less interested in bottles as well. I think once nursing is established, most babies prefer to nurse so bottle preference is more rare when the bottle is introduced later on (I'm sure there are exceptions, of course, but I think they are quite rare).

This is fantastic advice:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wvmom View Post
    Just make it a rule: your baby gets bottles when you are not there and breastfeeds when you are there.

Just make it a rule: your baby gets bottles when you are not there and breastfeeds when you are there.

Agreed! That's what worked for us!
    Ayna ~ born 10/22/09
    Still and despite the controversy of society!

My LO never had a bottle preference. I went back to work at 12 weeks. Just make it a rule: your baby gets bottles when you are not there and breastfeeds when you are there.

My first hated the bottle and did not get attached to it until she was about a year old. She nursed for two years. My second likes the bottle but NEVER gets one when I'm at home. I really don't like pumping enough to pump while she's getting a bottle in the same house.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post

My first hated the bottle and did not get attached to it until she was about a year old. She nursed for two years. My second likes the bottle but NEVER gets one when I'm at home. I really don't like pumping enough to pump while she's getting a bottle in the same house.
    . No bottle preference with mine, and we had to start early, i went back to work at 5 weeks. Good luck on your return!!
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

I introduced the bottle around 6 weeks or so with both DD's and neither wanted anything to do with it when I was around. Given that you had a problem with it before, I can understand your worry. It sounds like you're taking a good look at which bottles you use. It would seem that at this age, it would be less of a problem. Maybe just be sure you're using a really low flow nipple on the bottle. That combined with the bonus of mama snuggles while nursing might be enought to help this time!

I went back at 6 weeks and we haven't had any issues. We introduced the bottle very early, we elected to supplement in the hospital to prevent a return visit for jaundice. Once my milk came in he was doing just fine nursing. He gets the bottle at daycare and when dad is home but once the milk machine walks in the door he doesn't see the bottles and he seems to be perfectly happy with that