Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pacifier question

Question Pacifier question

My son turned 4weeks today and seems to have nursing down. I gave him a pacifier to help him with his hiccups this afternoon...will the occasional pacifier ruin our breastfeeding relationship?

I tried Gum Drops but he didn't like those but the Nuk ones he keeps in his mouth for a few minutes and spits out but seems much happier after those few minutes.

Default Re: Pacifier question

hi mama! i would wait a bit longer, but it is up to you. have heard 4-6 weeks and i would go longer rather than earlier, the baby is still very young even though bf is going well. your milk supply is still being established. However, you know best as the mama. and if it is really occasional it is probably ok.

Personally, i take the need to suck very seriously since it is the key link to building our milk supply. Good Luck!

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/concerns/pacifier.html

I agree. The need to suck is a VERY big deal. My first had no trouble going between pacifier and breast and the hospital stuck the pacifier in her mouth the first day she was here (I wasn't very happy). She quit using it around 3 months when she got her first two teeth.

My new baby (2 months old) uses it to fall asleep. I think we really started using it (or rather, he really started ACCEPTING it) around 5 or 6 weeks.

But, it is very important to listen to your instincts. And I think that a pacifier here and there is better than allowing yourself to get raw from baby constantly sucking on you...although I am a firm believer in baby needing comfort from mama.

Good luck!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Thumbs up Re: Pacifier question

Thanks ladies!
    I have decided to put off the pacifier for now.

It all depends on the kid. My first two wanted one. The oldest had one practically from birth. I do not think our issues with nursing were from the pacifier. He seemed to really know the difference and preferred a bottle, which took me weeks and weeks to beat. My second kid, I didn't offer one until he was some weeks old, and it was honestly out of desperation. He cried so much in the car and places where he could not have my breast in his mouth that it was a fine substitute. Third baby didn't seem to have that much of a suck need and didn't want one...but I also didn't try with him until he was like 6-8 weeks of age, so I may have missed the window. Fourth baby would love to have one, but he can't hold it in his mouth. I tried a Wannubi with him, but the pacifier nipple seems to be the wrong shape for him.

Long story short, you never know. And it's a TOOL. Used properly, they can save your life. But I think they are more often used incorrectly, and yes, then there is a greater chance of weaning early, as studies have shown.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I can see where a pacifier used to hold off a feeding could become a problem. I think I will keep one in the car for those wild screams once he is a little older :-)

Married to Josh 05/07/2005
    Grace 12/17/2006 FF
    Emma 01/22/2008 EP
    Frank 06/26/2011 EBF

"While breastfeeding may not seem like the right choice for every parent, it is the best choice for every baby" Amy Spangler

**** 8 beautiful months and going strong ****