Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Confusion or something else?

Default Nipple Confusion or something else?

My 2 month old started getting one bottle a day every now and again about 3 weeks ago. We're just doing it so there are options. He does use a pacifier instead of staying on me for hours...however, it's not a consistent need (really only to go to sleep).

The last few days, during the day in particular, he has been only "snacking." In general, this leads to him taking really short naps and wanting to eat again. He barely eats because he sucks in too much air and gets frustrated. Then, I guess because he has so much air, he thinks he's full.

He's generally a very happy baby and sleeps and eats pretty well at night. However, I'm not sure what's going on during the day. He's not latching like I think he should (I breastfed my oldest, and she never had this trouble). It seems like he's only catching the tip of my nipple in his mouth.

I've used the side-lying position, but even that was difficult today and yesterday.

Any suggestions?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Default Re: Nipple Confusion or something else?

ut, oh your lo might be coming down w/ an ear infection or he may have sores in his mouth.
    It might be thrush.
    or it might be that he has become a really efficient night nurser and he is not hungry for hours at a stretch during the day.
    By the time you track down the cause of his decreased nursings sure enough he will alter his pattern and begin nursing 24/7.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Is he only getting the tip b/c he's pulling back (frustrated), or does he latch on to the tip to begin with? I remember when I was trying to get more of the breast in I made a "breast sandwich" and shoved it in pretty far to get a deeper latch. Also, I would use a boppy pillow to help support her head so I had more control with my hands. I also would vary with football hold and sidelying like you describe.

How do you know he's sucking in too much air when he eats? (other than gas and lots of burping). During the day does he just seem fussy and want to eat all the time instead of sleep...could it be a growth spurt? Sometimes babies get fussier/eat more often/ sleep less/ routine disrupted during those times.

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/growth-spurt.html
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog

Thanks ladies. I'm pretty sure we went through a growth spurt last week (week 7), but I may be wrong. I think it was a lot of gulping air (I can literally hear it go into his stomach).

I did try the reclining position, and he did very well with one side. The other side, he was very angry at me - so I think the first side he was just curious about what I was doing.

Through the night last night, he didn't wake up but the one time - so I'm thinking it's not a growth spurt. I'm just going to go with the flow...literally.

If he's sucking in air, he's got a latch problem going on. I'd work on watching his latch.

You might get him to reset, for lack of a better term, by wearing him down and having him take a good long nap -- even if it's on you -- and then waking up pretty hungry. Get him to eat, then play, and then go back to sleep. Try that for a few days, see if you can get him to eat a few good long sessions and then maybe some of this fussy behavior will go away. But I've also had what you describe be very normal...except for the air part. That doesn't sound right to me.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

That's exactly what I was thinking: that his latch is off. Used the boppy today to help support him a bit - that seemed to be better. I'm working on it. Thanks for all the tips I'm getting!