Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help! BF strike

Default Help! BF strike

My son is 9 months old and has been crabby the last 3 days. I thought it was just teething (he is getting 4 teeth right now) but I took him to the doctor and it was a double ear infection. So yesterday and today he would not nurse at all.

I'm very concerned because I cannot get any milk out with a pump. I have an electric on and a hand held one. I sat and expressed milk by myself and got an ounce but I can't do that enough to keep my supply.

How long do I have to get him back to nursing before my milk is gone?! I have 2 older boys that i nursed 12months+ and i'm worried my lil guy is stopping now at 9months because of his terrible teething and ear infection

Default Re: Help! BF strike

Welcome! I am sorry you've hit such a rough patch. How long you have to get things back on track depends on a) whether or not you can coax your baby back to the breast (see this link: http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html), b) how well you respond to the pump, and c) how much work you put in with the pump. In other words, there's no set time limit. And even if you did dry up completely, it is still possible to regain your milk supply. Better not to lose it in the first place, though! You might want to contact a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC for tips on pumping and for help in obtaining a hospital-grade rental pump. That might help you get more milk in less time, and IMO that would make it worth the expense.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Help! BF strike

agree with PP. you can also try hand expressing/massaging your breasts until you get your hands on a hospital grade pump.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair