Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nipple Burning/Breast Pain

Default Nipple Burning/Breast Pain

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or experienced this... (5 month old) I've had a shooting pain in my (left only) nipple/breast for about 2 months now, it's very painful to nurse on that side so I've been either avoiding or trying to bear it. It almost feels like when I first started nursing that initial pain of probably a bad latch. Anyway I've tried different holds, Lanolin, air drying, not nursing at all & pumping. When I pump on that side I have to sometimes turn the suction down because as soon as I start there's a shooting pain right in the center of my nipple...I went to the my Prim. care Dr. and they thought maybe yeast? but there is no discharge or flaky/broken skin, in fact my nipples look fine (it sure doesn't feel fine DR!) she gave me clotrimazole but that hasn't worked, I also started taking acidophilus but its only been 2 days...and my LO shows no signs at all in the mouth, she just doesn't always want to nurse, but will ALWAYS takes a bottle of breastmilk thank you for any ideas or thoughts...

in pain for 2 months too long...

Default Re: Nipple Burning/Breast Pain

That does sound like yeast, but it could be a different kind of infection - like staph. One thing about yeast though - it's a &%$#@ to get rid of. It takes a WHILE. I'd say, two weeks, minimum. And the medication at first can make it feel worse, not better. It's nasty stuff. You're also supposed to treat your baby, because often they get it as well and you pass it back and forth. Check out this link for more options for treatment.

Anyway, I would give it more than two days to see if you feel improvement. If you're not seeing any improvement in a week or ten days, while pursuing several of the treatments laid out in that link, go back to the doctor and ask them to look again, and preferably, culture your nipple to figure out exactly what's going on.

Ugh. I'm sorry. Whatever it is, nipple pain SUCKS.

ETA: Rereading your post. If you've had this for two months, you REALLY should have your nipple cultured. Sometimes pain like that is not yeast, and is bacterial. If it's yeast, try to get a script for diflucan, which is a pill you take that kills yeast throughout your body. Also consider gentian violet and/or GSE as described in that link - those are more potent remedies.
    Last edited by @llli*joe.s.mom; July 22nd, 2011 at 05:43 PM.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

excellent advice from the PP, as usual.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you so much that helps...just saw my prim.care dr again to let her know the clotrimazole wasn't working and she looked at me cluelessly and suggested I get an ultrasound of my breast...I think I'm just going to go back to the midwife who I delivered with.at least she knows about these matters Thank you for your recommendations!