Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experiences Using Reglan?

Default Experiences Using Reglan?

Hi Ladies,

I'm having issues with low milk supply and have started taking Reglan (today is my first day). Could you please share your experience using Reglan, if you have? I've read some scary stuff on the internet, but want to give it a try.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jen

Default Re: Experiences Using Reglan?

I took Reglan and feel that it worked for me, with no side-effects despite a family history of depression (Reglan can increase your risk of depression, particularly when there's a family history). I also took all the supply-increasing herbs that are usually recommended- fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal. But what really helped me, more than the herbs, more even than Reglan, was frequent pumping using a hospital grade pump with correctly sized shields. Herbs and drugs are not a substitute for frequent and thorough milk removal. So if you are questioning whether or not the drug route is the right one for you, I suggest maxing out your work with the pump before going down the pharmaceutical path.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I took Reglan and feel that it worked for me, with no side-effects despite a family history of depression (Reglan can increase your risk of depression, particularly when there's a family history). I also took all the supply-increasing herbs that are usually recommended- fenugreek, blessed thistle, oatmeal. But what really helped me, more than the herbs, more even than Reglan, was frequent pumping using a hospital grade pump with correctly sized shields. Herbs and drugs are not a substitute for frequent and thorough milk removal. So if you are questioning whether or not the drug route is the right one for you, I suggest maxing out your work with the pump before going down the pharmaceutical path.
    You're right. I think I may stop the Reglan. Another fear I have it that it will lower my supply once I've finished it and that worries me. I will keep doing what I'm doing and working with the pump. It seems like my DD gets upset while nursing when I'm engorged, so I'd like to avoid upsetting her as well. Thanks for your input!

Wait, if you're getting engorged, why are you worried about supply? What's going on that makes you think you have a supply issue?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Wait, if you're getting engorged, why are you worried about supply? What's going on that makes you think you have a supply issue?
    I get engorged if she doesn't nurse for 4-5 hours, which happens rarely, but has happened once or twice. The issue is that it takes me an HOUR to pump the amount I used to pump with my first. I understand that every baby is different, but that amount of time seems excessive to me. I'm thinking it is because I'm not producing as much as last time. I have no idea. I really wish I had the answer or a solution. I'm nursing round the clock and pumping twice a day...I need to build up a stash of frozen before I go back to work and it is taking me forever. I've been pumping for 2 1/2 weeks now and am not producing more milk as of yet.

Have you checked all your pumping stuff? Maybe you need a different size horn than you used last time?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Have you checked all your pumping stuff? Maybe you need a different size horn than you used last time?
    I thought that the size of the horns would be the problem, so I tried the next size up - no difference. My valves and membranes are all new. The pump is working fine...I rented a Medela Symphony just recently and it is in working order. I don't get it.

Does anyone know what happens after you stop taking Reglan? I've read that your supply goes back to where it was before...but has anyone ever heard of your supply becoming lower than before? Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Juniper79 View Post
    Hi Ladies,

I'm having issues with low milk supply and have started taking Reglan (today is my first day). Could you please share your experience using Reglan, if you have? I've read some scary stuff on the internet, but want to give it a try.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jen
    Well I don't know what will happen to your supply once you stop Reglan, but I do know from personel experience that Reglan is poison. I would rather quit nursing alltogether rather than take Reglan again!!!! Sorry, it sounds harsh, but Reglan almost made me loose my mind and myself. Furthermore, I don't even have a history of depression in my family.
    If you want to increase supply, my best advice would be to empty your breasts as often as possible. Motilium is a much better way to go. Good luck moma.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*usa View Post
    Well I don't know what will happen to your supply once you stop Reglan, but I do know from personel experience that Reglan is poison. I would rather quit nursing alltogether rather than take Reglan again!!!! Sorry, it sounds harsh, but Reglan almost made me loose my mind and myself. Furthermore, I don't even have a history of depression in my family.
    If you want to increase supply, my best advice would be to empty your breasts as often as possible. Motilium is a much better way to go. Good luck moma.
    I'm gonna have to second this! I just got "back to normal" after taking almost a 3 week supply of Reglan. I stopped 4 days short of 3 weeks. I dropped into a deep funk and didn't see it coming - it was a whammo for me. No history of depression of any kind. It took me about 2 weeks to get it all out of my system and stop shaking and crying.

I've been down a long road trying to continue ebf and have made peace with supplementing. I will TRY to remember that ANY breast milk is better than none. I nurse as often as I can and pump 5x a day (just to get 6-8 oz).

Regardless of other experiences you hear here, you'll know what's right for you. If Reglan is something you're willing to go through, maybe you'll have a different experience. Personally, I won't go that route with my next lo.

Good luck, mamma.

I also used Reglan when i was breastfeeding and I felt it increased my supply. I also drank Mothers Milk Tea at times throughout. I did not have any side effects and my son finally started gaining the weight he needed. I also was told to increase my water intake also and that seemed to also help. Sometimes, its just finding what works for you.