Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 100% off the shield but now latching issues and green poop

Default 100% off the shield but now latching issues and green poop

We have been off the shield 100% for the last day and a half. But I can't seem to get her to latch just right. My nipple is not lipstick shaped but there is a white line right in the middle when she comes off and there is a little bit of pain throughout the nursing. I am making an appointment with the LC at my peds office on Monday but just looking for some tips for the weekend. You would think with my 4th kid I would have this down right!
    Anyway she is also having watery green poops since the beginning of the week. There is not any mucus and it's not frothy. Sometimes it's seedy. I'm thinking she's not getting enough hindmilk since she is not nursing as long without the shield?
    Thanks for any input!

Default Re: 100% off the shield but now latching issues and green poop

I'm afraid I don't have anything to offer other than to say that I think it's good to see an LC. I mostly just wanted to write to say congratulations on weaning off the shield. I think I've read some earlier posts of yours, so I know you were working at it for a while. I hope the meeting with the LC is helpful.
    I breast milk fed my Blossom for fifteen months (after exclusively pumping for thirteen). My Bud (nineteen months) is still nursing directly (after a rough start that included a few months of pumping and supplementing with mommy's milk).

TwoDewdrops: Nursing Dresses and Tops for Discreet Breastfeeding (and Pumping)

bump!!
    SAHM of Baby Dominic, we

Hi! This is my first post, so please excuse any mistakes I might make! I don't think you mentioned how old your LO is, but I wanted to share that my son was having green poop when he was several weeks old, and I was concerned about it. I read in books and online that he might not be getting enough hindmilk, but even my attempts at pumping the foremilk before feeding him and giving him multiple collections of that in a bottle resulted in green poop. When I asked the pediatrician about it, she said that this can be a result of the body making too much bile and not being able to absorb it quickly enough. She also said that it is not a concern; it just happens sometimes. (She said that a breastfed baby's poop is fine as long as the color falls in the "autumn spectrum," which made me laugh.) Right after seeing the doctor, my son's poop turned the appropriate yellow color and has not returned to the green color. I hope this gives you some peace of mind until your appointment Monday.

Just wanted to update everyone. We met with the LC on Tuesday and of course LO latched on perfectly while there! I just have to really make sure her mouth is wide open when she latches, now that she's used to not having the shield she is opening wider every time. The dr said her poop was fine since there wasn't any blood or mucous. I'm glad that we are off the shield, but it has taken a week just for her to learn how to breastfeed without it. At first she was only nursing a few minutes but now she nurses about 10 every time. I think she is getting more milk now too, her diapers are a lot heavier now! She weighed 8 lbs 10.5 oz on Tuesday so she's gaining! At her 3 week appointment 4 weeks ago she was 7 lbs 6 oz, which was her birth weight. (She was 7 weeks on Tuesday). Anyway just wanted to update anyone and hopefully anyone else looking on how to wean from the shield has found some useful info! Thanks everyone!