Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shipping Frozen Milk: Help!

Smile Shipping Frozen Milk: Help!

We are moving from TX to MA in about 10 days. I have a newborn and have less than 300oz of milk frozen in Medela bags in my home fridge freezer. I hate to have to throw it away. My daughter doesn't have need for a bottle as I'm always with her. Besides, unless she's starving she refuses a bottle. I still would like to keep in the case I may need it and the fact that I hate to throw it away even if it's not a big stash yet. Any clues on how I can ship it to my new address? Or can I take it with me on the plane since it's not a lot of milk and my travel time is about 4 hours plus travel to and from airport and security check in, etc? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Blanca
    Proud mommy of a 12 year old tween
    and my little Christmas Eve bundle of energy

Update: New baby girl summer 2011!

Default Re: Shipping Frozen Milk: Help!

I know that Fedex will ship frozen materials and I would assume that other shipping services will do the same, but it can get pretty expensive. It's certainly worth checking with them though to see what your options are and how much it will cost. It seems like a hassle to bring on the plane, plus you never know about delays.

You can fly with it, but you will have to check it since it is frozen. To keep it frozen, you will need to use dry ice, which they won't let you have on the plane w/ you. You can check dry ice, but you have to declare it, and there may be a limit on how much you can check (?5lbs maybe?).

You can also ship it, but you would need to ship it to a person you know who can immediately put it in his/her freezer. Dry ice is great, but you don't want it sitting on someone's porch in this 90-100 weather all day long.

I was going to ship some frozen milk to a friend (ended up being able to bring her fresh in person), and I spoke w/ my local shipping company. Basically they said they can ship things w/ dry ice if you let them know ahead of time. You would probably want to overnight it, hence the expense.

The only place I can get dry ice where I live is Kroger. You may have to call around to different grocery stores.

If it were me, I would either ship it (i.e., not take it on the plane w/ me) or donate it. I agree w/ you, it's too much to waste
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Just saw this website; hope it helps!

http://milksharing.blogspot.com/2010...east-milk.html
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I'd donate via a milk bank or Human Milk 4 Human Babies. To ship milk, it apparently takes at least 300 oz to make sure it arrives frozen, even with dry ice, from what I have been told when I was looking into donation.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!