Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: i think i made a mistake....

Default i think i made a mistake....

our doctor told us we should start rice cereal at 4mths so we did. we did it in the evening and were planning on doing cereal in the morning as well after the first week or two. by day 5 my lo was having all kinds of problems pooping and he was very fussy and i stopped doing the cereal because im guessing he is just not ready for it now im doing some reading on solids for bf babies should be started at 6mths but the problem i am having now is my lo is very very hungry both in the evening and in the morning. i have a bit of an oversupply so i know i have plenty of milk for him to be eating but we have an almost 2hr nursing session and he is still not satisfied. he is very fussy and stopped taking naps during the day and is no longer sleeping well at night. im sure that i stretched his tummy out by feeding him the solids but im not sure how to fix this. should i try a different food? any ideas what would be better than cereal?

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

Default Re: i think i made a mistake....

I would hold off on the solids and continue to nurse more like you are doing. How long has it been since he had cereal? It may take a few days.

The sleeping may not be related at all to the solids. A lot is going on at four months and sleep can be disrupted because of milestones that they are working on (rolling over for example) as well as teething.
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

Is there a reason why your doctor suggested rice cereal? Check out this link
    http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

no i think our doctor is more of a formula doctor. i started our daughter on solids around 4mths so it didnt seem off when he said it but we had the worst experience feeding her. she was allergic to pretty much all formula and the solids were a big help but this time even though my son has allergies i am able to just avoid those foods and things are much much better. i just hate how hungry he seems but i gave in this morning and did some cereal and he is already upset with a rock hard belly so no more solids it is!!

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

Good for you. Your doctor can suggest and recommend all he wants but the decision is yours. I hope the link was helpful.
    I am Lea (middle name)
    Mama to Dominic born on 3/23/09
    Wife to G 4/27/07
    We're blessed to have been for 3 years and counting! Proud to with our squirmy worm

"My home is not a place, it is people."
    -Lois McMaster Bujold

No reason you can't stop giving cereal just because you started. When baby meets all signs of readiness,
    Signs that indicate baby is developmentally ready for solids include:
    Baby can sit up well without support.
    Baby has lost the tongue-thrust reflex and does not automatically push solids out of his mouth with his tongue.
    Baby is ready and willing to chew.
    Baby is developing a “pincer” grasp, where he picks up food or other objects between thumb and forefinger. Using the fingers and scraping the food into the palm of the hand (palmar grasp) does not substitute for pincer grasp development.
    Baby is eager to participate in mealtime and may try to grab food and put it in his mouth.
    you could try offering more nutrient dense foods such as avacados, bananna, peaches, ect.
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...lids-when.html
    Mommy to 2 little boys!
    DS1 11/1/07 BFed 7 months
    DS2 11/6/09 BF 2 YEARS! and counting!