Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Terrible night :-(

Unhappy Terrible night :-(

When my son first came home from the hospital he nursed well and slept awesome for....about a week or two. Awesome being defined as two feedings between 11:30pm and 7am. The last few nights he has been very exhausting. He is up and cluster feeding the few hours before bed (11pm) then he crashes...he sleeps for a few hours sometimes then he is up back to back to back with screaming at the top of his lungs! I put him to the breast and he either gets on the nipple but doesnt latch and sits there for a few seconds and pushes away and screams more...OR he wont open his mouth only a little then I get a let down and he just sips at the spraying milk. All the while screaming.

Someone please help me!!

I cry the whole night it seems cause I am so tired and so worn out and I dont know what to do...I am so tempted to let my husband give him a bottle just to give myself a break.

Default Re: Terrible night :-(

How old is your little guy?

So looking at past posts it seems that your son will be four weeks this Sunday? It is normal for babies, right around 3 weeks to have a fussier period of day. It will resolve itself usually at around 3 months. It is also normal for babies to cluster feed. My first son would cluster feed and fuss for a few hours EVERY night. It will get better I promise! When he wakes at night just try to keep things low key. Quiet or white noise. Very dim lightings so he gets used to sleeping at night. I used to walk around with my DS, that is the only thing that would get him to calm down. Sleep during the day when baby sleeps. That is the only thing that got me through those first few months with my oldest. Do you cosleep? This also helps when the exhaustion sets in

I agree with PP, babies often sleep very well at first, then get much worse around three weeks, then better after a few more week, then often get worse again around four months, then better again and so on. After this first stretch you begin to adjust to wacky sleeping patterns yourself, so this is often the worst part.

The spraying could be over active letdown. This is often worst at night when prolactin levels are high and your supply is at a maximum. You can try to nurse reclined to slow the flow (prop yourself on a few pillows so that you are leaning back a bit and put you baby on your chest to nurse, latching takes some work but once you get it the flow will be slower thanks to gravity and baby can nurse more comfortably), or nurse while lying on your side, or unlatch your baby and let the milk spray into a towel at letdown, then relatch.

I should add that I also agree that cosleeping can make your life a million times easier. When my son was very little I was afraid to put him into bed with me, so I placed his bassinet next to my bed. This worked out well for me until I was comfortable putting him into bed with me. Of course, many people put their newborns into bed with them, and it can be done perfectly safely. I just wanted to say that there are ways to keep your baby near even if your not comfortable putting him into your bed.

But do try the OALD tricks! They may help with the screaming. Good luck!

We have tried laying on our sides for feedings and it used to work out ok but now he seems to have a problem with it. He opens his mouth and then roots around wildly as if looking for my nipple but it will be right there OR he will even sometimes get it in his mouth but wont latch..he then gets mad and screams.
    Does anyone have some tips on getting a good latch when side feeding?

We never had a lot of luck with nursing side-lying when my son was very little, but I think that may be because I am relatively small chested. He got better once he was a bit bigger, but now at eight months he refuses to nurse side-lying again which sucks! When I had any kind of latch problems I always squeezed my breast around the outside of the areola between my thumb and index finger, then shoved the protruding nipple into his mouth as soon as he opened up.

We had much better luck nursing while reclined, however, where I could just hold him over the nipple and drop him on as soon as he opened his mouth. I won't lie, this takes a bit of practice, but once we got the hang of it my OALD woes were over. If OALD is indeed contributing to nighttime fussing, take solace in the fact that it does get better as your supply evens out and your baby grows and can handle the fast flow.

It also helps to get your baby on the breast before he starts to cry. I know this isn't always the easiest thing to do, but as soon as he seems to be getting restless I would offer the breast (especially at such a young age). Once the crying starts, it can be difficult to get your baby calm enough to nurse.

Remember that as the PP mentioned this is a really tough time as far as sleep goes, so you need to expect some fussiness. However, you can still do what you can to try to minimize it. Also remember that if you do break down and give a bottle, that you will need to pump while the bottle is given or you risk losing your supply (especially so early on). Thus, a bottle usually doesn't make things any easier. Plus you then have a bottle and pump parts to wash. I know it is exhausting right now, but it really does get better and much quicker than you think. It doesn't seem like it when you are in the thick of it, but before you know it you will be amazed at how everything has changed!

Just one more thought (sorry, I feel like I just won't shut up today) - could the crying be due to reflux? Reflux can cause frequent, short feedings and fussiness. If it is minor reflux then sleeping on an incline, frequent and thorough burping, and gripe water can all be helpful (at least it helped us). If the reflux is more severe, then you would want to discuss it with your pediatrician.

Thank you all for the advice and support!!

Last night was better then the previous nights. The nights he slept bad, he was awake more that day. He wanted to eat and be carried around all day long but then ended up sleeping terrible that night. Yesterday he did a little more sleeping during the day. He fell asleep at 10pm and I got him up to nurse at 12am before I went to bed. He slept 3 hours, then 2 hours, then back to back to back till this morning at 9am when we got out of bed. This type of schedule doesn't feel as bad because I was given 3 hours right at the start...it felt great.

During the days I never consider bottles of pumped milk or formula...even with lack of sleep I feel confidant that nursing him is the best. He is gaining weight like a champ and that gives me the drive to continue doing what I am doing. BUT at night when things are at there worst, I am weak! I sit and cry and fight with myself lol I list pros and cons over and over and over until I finally just say no and lay back down and try and get rest. I know that before I know it, this stage will be over. Although....I have heard such great stories of other little ones sleeping 5 hour stretches at 7 weeks or 3 months. I hope this will be the case with me too. My two other children (girls) didn't sleep through the night till they were 10months. My first was formula fed and my second was bottle fed breast milk during the day and formula fed at night.

Again thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*phi View Post
    The spraying could be over active letdown. This is often worst at night when prolactin levels are high and your supply is at a maximum. You can try to nurse reclined to slow the flow (prop yourself on a few pillows so that you are leaning back a bit and put you baby on your chest to nurse, latching takes some work but once you get it the flow will be slower thanks to gravity and baby can nurse more comfortably), or nurse while lying on your side, or unlatch your baby and let the milk spray into a towel at letdown, then relatch.
    It certainly does sound like overactive letdown could be a possibility. It tends to get worse over the first month or two and then better as baby gets older and bigger and better able to keep up with the fast flow.

I also second phi's suggestion about nursing lying back with your baby on top of you. It may take some practice, but with "laid-back breastfeeding" gravity works in your favor when it comes to overactive letdown. Take a look at the video on biologicalnurturing.com to see how it works.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--