Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Switching which side to offer in the morning

Default Switching which side to offer in the morning

Okay, bear with me.

I want to be clear that I don't impose any kind of schedule on M, this is just how she nurses. We nurse once in the morning before I leave for work, then I pump during the day (from 2-4 times, but more on that in a minute), then I nurse when we get home, then she goes to bed around 8. I get her up to nurse before I go to bed, usually between 9:30 and 10. Then she sleeps through the night

I nurse on one side each time, since I had had so much trouble w/ oversupply and foremilk imbalance. So today's schedule might be: nurse on leftie at 6:30-7, 3-4 bottles @ daycare, nurse on rightie at 6:30-7PM, leftie at 9:30-10. Then the next day it would reverse, since rightie would have gone since 6:30p w/o being emptied.

The problem is that my left breast is so much better in terms of pumping output - which normally I wouldn't care about, except that now that my supply is dipping a little, I get 1-2 oz less on days when I start the day having nursed on the left. I'm already pumping 3x @ work now instead of 2, and one day this week I actually found time to pump a 4th time to get the full 14oz I need per day. I'd feel better with 16, but if I consistently get less than 14, I have to dip into my freezer stash more than I would like. If she were older (like 9 mos), I wouldn't worry so much, but she's only 6 mos and I feel as though it's too early to be regularly using freezer milk.

So my question is, do you think it would be ultimately too hard on my supply to always start the day nursing right, so that it would be R-L-R for my nursing? I don't get engorged (much) anymore, so I don't think it would be an issue from that standpoint.

Thoughts?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Default Re: Switching which side to offer in the morning

jeno, I think that would be fine. I know you're worried that leftie won't be getting the same stimulation, but if she's content after nursing on the right side, and your right side is having trouble with the pump - I think it will be ok. Also, it may possibly even things out, in terms of helping rightie get with the program on pumping.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    jeno, I think that would be fine. I know you're worried that leftie won't be getting the same stimulation, but if she's content after nursing on the right side, and your right side is having trouble with the pump - I think it will be ok. Also, it may possibly even things out, in terms of helping rightie get with the program on pumping.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    What she said.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.