Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ouch! What's going on?

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

Default ouch! What's going on?

Hi mamas, just wondering if anyone can tell me what's happening here? I'm just wondering you see if i need to go to my gp...

well...my ds is 19 mo and feeds a lot the last couple of nights he was more restless and feeding very frequently (we have had a sickness bug and teething too i think) and feeding felt a bit uncomfortable because of the fervour and restlessness.

anyway..was at work yesterday so no feeding (and stopped pumping now). Fed him off right boob when collected him and again at home. Then i was getting him ready for bed, bath, books, etc, and my left boob started getting some pains in it. I thought maybe it needed a good feed.

when edward fed it was quite painful, and he fell asleep and it hurt my areola a llittle when he came off. The pain is in my areola, and looked like a red streak was rising up my breast from this area. No lumps or hardness though.

I have put lansinoh on to relieve the tenderness and asked edward to feed gently which i think is helping.

but still sore and tender and also when i left my breast up to have a look at it.

any ideas? is it just the results of frenzied feeding or not? I've had thrush before and don't think it's the same. i have symptoms of reynaulds too, but no need to treat.

sorry for long post but wanted feedback from the mums in the know before i make appointment with gp.

thanks x

Default Re: ouch! What's going on?

Ouch! If you feel around where it is painful, are there any lumps or hard areas? It sounds similar to a blocked duct or mastitis. How are you feeling otherwise? Any flu-like symptoms?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

a little village with some trees, people, and a canal in it, Derbyshire, England

hi, no can't feel any lumps. I feel a bit hot, but can't honestly say i feel flu like. have spoken to nurse who wants me to go into the surgery, cos this isn't going away!

the red streak sounds very much like an infection of some sort (mastitis). Take your temperature. If you're running a fever, please do go in to the doc's office. You may need antibiotics.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    the red streak sounds very much like an infection of some sort (mastitis). Take your temperature. If you're running a fever, please do go in to the doc's office. You may need antibiotics.
    just been to doc's. Red streak settled down - i've been feeding my son (ouch!!!) off that side and doc thinks that has helped. Reckons a bit of backed up milk but not developed into infection due to feeding son. Told to keep an eye out for more red streaks and have been given rx just in case of fever or red streaks.

I am surprised at this - my son feeds all the time - must have been a little too long this time since feeding. never affected me before. still, getting less sore with more feeding. thank you for your support and advice

Sounds like it must have been a deep clogged duct (sometimes you can't feel a lump). Definitely get in a nice hot bath and massage that breast and get the milk flowing. It's weird, I've had these things creep up on me too ... even though I stopped pumping ages ago, even though I'm used to going a long time without nursing. But I think what can happen is that even though your body is used to nursing less now, if you have a clog, and it isn't resolved by the first nursing session, it can just get worse and worse without you really noticing, and then suddenly, BAM, mastitis.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Yes ! Your son's frequent feeding prevented full blown mastitis. take care of yourself mamma. Mastitis is a major downer.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joe.s.mom View Post
    Sounds like it must have been a deep clogged duct (sometimes you can't feel a lump). Definitely get in a nice hot bath and massage that breast and get the milk flowing. It's weird, I've had these things creep up on me too ... even though I stopped pumping ages ago, even though I'm used to going a long time without nursing. But I think what can happen is that even though your body is used to nursing less now, if you have a clog, and it isn't resolved by the first nursing session, it can just get worse and worse without you really noticing, and then suddenly, BAM, mastitis.
    oh, this is so weird! So useful to get this feedback - i'm still suprised about this as i have gone all day before without nursing til evening n no prob.

anyway mamas, thank you x and i have just had that nice hot bath and fed off the boob in question and it feels sooooooo much better. I never would have thought it at 19 mo!