Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 7 week old gas

Default 7 week old gas

Just reaching our for some support. My 7 week old daughter seems to have bad bad gas at night. She doesnt cry but complains all night long. I tried mylicon and it hasnt done a thing. I will try gripe water later tonight as I have to go out and buy it. The thing is she really doesnt complain during the day and just passes her bubbles.

I was thinking maybe its a foremilk thing at night. That is where you gals come in. During the day, she feeds for at least 15 minutes, never less and at least every two hours if not everyhour or so, but usually more and when my boob because so soft and she still wants more I switch. But at night, she eats rather quick and passes out and so do I. Could she only be getting the foremilk. Last night was a bad one. She woke up every two hours to eat and complained the entire time. She was complaining most of the time in her sleep. Her eyes were closed.

What can I do to fix it. It seems to be getting worse than better. I feel so bad for her.

Also, her poops were every diaper up until one week ago and now she is pooping every other day and when she poops its still that yellow color, but it no longer looks like mustard with seeds in it, it looks like the consistency of whip cream.

Could the pain be getting worse b.c she is pooping less now?

Also, she is still cluster feeding in the evening. She is on the boob for hours so I know she is getting the hindmilk right before bed.

She came home weighing 8lbs 6 ounces and as of a week ago she weighed 11lbs and 6 ounces so she is gaining. She turned 7 weeks yesterday.

I am feeding on demand. And on Mon-Thurs she gets one bottle of expressed milk b.c I am in school. She never had forrmula.

I am not a diary eater. I may put a little milk in my coffee but thats all. I take 1200 calcium pills per my doctor.
    Last edited by @llli*joyofcooking; July 22nd, 2011 at 05:49 AM.

Default Re: 7 week old gas

If her poops are yellow and she is gaining eight, she is getting hindmilk, and plenty of it. Poop consistency sounds normal, too.

What do you mean exactly when you say your baby is "complaining"? Is she whimpering, crying, making some other sound?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I would say she is whimpering with the occasional cry. Cry lasts maybe a few seconds and she goes back to whimpering the entire time and the legs are constantly moving when she wimpers.

Hmm, that does sound gassy. But since her poops are yellow I wouldn't blame either a dairy intolerance or an overabundance of foremilk. I mean, they're not totally out of the question but the symptoms don't fit the typical pattern. Maybe reflux...? I would try elevating the head of her crib mattress or having her sleep in a swing. If she is uncomfortable because lying down causes stomach acid to come up more easily, then having her head elevated will allow gravity to help keep stomach contents down where they belong.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Gavyn and Riley both had pretty bad gas. Mylicon helped some, and they drank it like water. Another thing I tried was skin on skin contact, where the baby was laying on his stomach on my chest. I also tried a heating pad, but I was very careful about that one. He was propped up in his bouncy seat while he laid on it and I was right next to him.

It can be tough I know! Sometimes there's nothing to do but walk the floor and bounce! This will pass though! The poops are nothing to worry about. This is the age where they start to poop less, and the color sounds fine.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Is she perhaps getting more of a chance to burp during the day? I found with my son (who was also a reflux and food allergy baby, so those played into his discomfort), burping him after night feeds was really important while he was small. I co-slept with him, so getting out of bed to burp him was not something I wanted to do, but I found that I could pretty effectively burp him lying down. I would drape him over my body with his knees on the bed and his upper body fairly upright (sort of like he was kneeling beside his bed to say prayers, only he was leaning against me instead of his bed, if that makes sense). I patted his back until he burped and then settled him next to me again. Often, he even remained asleep during the process.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

Thank you for your advice. I tried burping her all night last night and I couldnt get one out of her. She was so knocked out after each feed. She still did her complaining as she was in pain. Also, she has gas all day long, and it smells, maybe I am eating something that I dont know of. I feel so bad for her. Also, last night she ate every two hours.

Having the same issue joyof cooking...
    My 6 weeker has been having issues pretty much for weeks now...sometimes I swear he is trying to push out a baby all the grunting and groaning...

http://www.llli.org/nb/nbjanfeb98p13.html

Read this article and it seems to help him when I do the leg part... just pushing his legs into his belly.. or having without a diaper too-- which isn't safe a lot of the time!!

I did notice that it was worse when I was breastfeeding-- have been using bottles (playtex Ventaire) and seems to help some.. He is a SUPER noisy eater so I think he sucks down a lot of air regardless...

good luck!