Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any hope left? 10 day nursing strike.

Default Re: Is there any hope left? 10 day nursing strike.

So when DH got home this evening we were able to take a peak inside his mouth. Looks like he has 4 top teeth coming in and 1 bottom. Poor thing. His throat looks pretty good as far as I can tell but he did have that sore on his gum that looks pretty icky.

I think we have made a little progress. Praying that it is. Tonight when I took him in his room to rock him he grabbed at my shirt like he wanted to nurse so I offered and he put his mouth on me but wouldn't latch. Later when he was dozing I tried expressing a little milk on his lips and he opened up but would cry as soon as he closed his mouth on me he did this 3 times total before i stopped so as not to make him think I was trying to hurt him...

So I'm hoping that this means he still wants to nurse, that he will go back to breast. Hopefully as soon as that sore is healed and those horrible teeth come in.
    Praying the our nursing relationship will soon be reconnected!
    Momma to Xain 9-30-2010 And 3 little puppy dogs!
    Wife to Donnie 11-08-2009
    with edd May 30. Hoping for a Vbac
    (before the belly got to big) Love my Fluffy bottom babies!

I'm glad you haven't given up. I hope you get there quickly.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Mama it really sounds like he is pain. At this point I am going to suggest that you give him some Tylenol or Motrin and hour before you are ready to put him down and see if that doesn't make a difference. Perhaps with Pain meds he will be able to latch without it hurting! Plus it should get him enough relief to sleep longer.

Way too lazy for formula

Ive already tried Tylenol and Motrin. Besides keeping him not as fussy it hasnt helped to get him to latch. He has been sleeping well though. At least 10 hrs. Though I had to give him some yesterday to get him to take a nap. Im not gonna quit offering for awhile but I will pump and continue to give him EBM til at least a yr. Formula is not an option unless god forbid I dry up. Even though Im having a time at pumping enough I believe I have enough in the deep freeze to last a yr with what I pump. Since so far Ive only needed 2 bags and its been 12 days.

One technique that sometimes works with a baby on strike is to nurse ine the middle of the night, when the baby is too sleepy to fight the breast, and so drowsy that he sort of forgets that he's on strike. Maybe it would be worth it to take him to bed with you for a few nights, and see if maybe he'll wake up, nuzzle around, and start nursing before he realizes what's going on?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't have anything to suggest but just wanted to say that I am so sorry. I think you are doing a great job at offering and trying hard not to make it into a negative thing at the same time. And kudos to you for adjusting to having to EP, if that's what you have to do. I can't even imagine how emotional this is but you are doing a great job. Hang in there mama.

5 teeth plus an owie!!!! Poor baby.
    My DS has strikes periodically on one side. The first time, I was frantic because I got so engorged. I tried everything and started pumping on that side. I decided one day to try another hold and he ate. He has had strikes on that side several times and I have had to use the football hold, having him sit up and nurse, standing with his body hanging down, and having him lying on top of me while I am lying on my back. Sometimes I have to try several different holds to get him to eat. He is now on a prolonged "strike" on the side he usually likes. Sometimes no matter how hard I try he won't eat on that side. It has been over a week now. When we are in public, he eats normally just fine . Is there some sort of oral medication you can put on your son's owie so it can be numb enough for him to eat? Good luck. I hope he gets to feeling better soon and that you can have a great BFing relationship again.
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

We are still on the nursing strike though he is playing more with them and occasionally letting me put it in his mouth and express some milk into his mouth. I am still EP at least 4x a day but Ive been trying for 6x. Not easy with a very mobile into EVERYTHING 9 mth old. New question is there any tricks for pumping so it doesn't hurt as bad? Its kind of like a friction thing. I have 2 different sized breast shields, The larger doesn't hurt as bad but its still uncomfortable. Or is this just something im gonna have to get use to like with BF in the beginning?

Also Id like to Thank all you wonderful Momma's for the kind words and encouragement. This has been hands down the most frustrating, stressful, and upsetting times as a mother thus far and yall have been a great support for me and Im thinking this may be my new way of thinking
    [QUOTE=@llli*mommal;1173033] 2 of the moms whose babies self-weaned eventually decided to pump for the remainder of the year, and were able to breastfeed that way and redefine their concept of success. QUOTE] As Im against using formula, Ive come to far to switch now! I know I can do this to at least a yr! It may be hard to pump at least 4x a day for the next 10 wks but I know I can do it! Ive even rigged me up a hands free pumping bra from an old sports bra

Thank you momma's

keep on keepin' on, mama! Maybe one day he'll just decide that it would be fun to nurse... But if not, you're awesome for making the commitment to EP! There are a lot of threads on EPing from mamas who are doing that or have done it in the past, and I am sure they would have a lot of helpful tips on maximizing production and shortcuts that might make the process less effortful.

Couple tips on making pumping more comfortable-
    - try different sized shield
    - try lubing your nipples with some olive oil
    - start suction on lowest level and gradually turn it up to an effective level
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

The friction you are feeling makes me think your flanges are too small. Try lubing them with olive oil or lanolin.

Rent that hospital grade pump. It is so much smoother! I get really sore when I pump with a portable pump more than 2 times a day. But I pump with a hospital grade at least 4 times (I'm down to that far -- for moms trying to build some supply, pumping more often is much better) a day. And when I do that, I'm not as sore. It's like, as one mama here put it, the difference between a perfect latch and a so-so latch.

Pumping with a mobile baby is a challenge. I'm there too. My 6 month old is everywhere. He deliberately puts himself in the way to kick my bottles off. He pulls at my tubes. He tries to get to the pump. He actually pulled the little table I put it on in the family room during the day over one day. So I gave him his own set of old tubes to play with, and I try pretty hard to distract him while I pump. At 4 times a day, that's at least 30 minutes a session (you need to pump for 120 minutes out of every 24 hours to maintain supply) that's kind of hard to distract him for that long. But you'll work out some tricks.

And then keep offering. You might be surprised at what happens once these teeth come in.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!