Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there any hope left? 10 day nursing strike.

Default Is there any hope left? 10 day nursing strike.

On Monday July 11 My son (9mths) Didnt nurse very well for the morning feed but nursed well at the two day feedings. That 6pm feeding has been our last. I Have tried EVERYTHING that i can think of. We have been to the dr. They said he had Herpangina. (mouth sores. Kindof like hand foot and mouth.) Though he never ran a fever. I cant see the back of his throat so Im not sure if he has it or not. He is teething which seems to be giving him alot more pain then the last set that came in.

Ive read the stuff at kellymom.com and tried everything. Ive gone topless all day almost everyday since, taking a bath with him (he thought is was just play time), taking a nap with him skin to skin, while he was asleep, making a game out of it, just hanging out in the floor like it was nothing, ive even been to a llli meeting.... Idk....
    He is taking my ebm out of a cup with a straw. He never got the hang of turning the sippy cup up to get the milk out.

Im blindsided by this. He has been an EXCELLENT nurser since day one. He hardly ever got a bottle. Im devastated. Miserable. I feel rejected and hurt. I cry just thinking about what we had, what we have lost and as the days go on... I feel like all hope of this ending is slipping out of my fingers. Im just down right depressed.

I know they say babies dont wean at this age but could and would he go back to the breast after this long? I keep offering but most of the time he just arches his back and cries and tries to get away even though its not forced. I feel like im gonna make him afraid of me or something. Occasionally he has put his mouth on me, has bite me a couple times as well. Sometimes in the evening he looks at me like he wants to but as soon as I pick him up and lift my shirt he changes his mind.

Has anyone dealt with a strike this long and if so what was the outcome, if you got baby back to breast, how did you do it? Should I give up trying or hold on awhile longer? Any advise, support is welcome!

Thank you for taking the time to read this and Sorry its so long, I am just heart broken and dont really have anyone to talk to that can relate to what im dealing with.
    Momma to Xain 9-30-2010 And 3 little puppy dogs!
    Wife to Donnie 11-08-2009
    with edd May 30. Hoping for a Vbac
    (before the belly got to big) Love my Fluffy bottom babies!

Default Re: Is there any hope left? 10 day nursing strike.

I'm so sorry. I wish I had some advice or a "been there done that" story but I don't. My son went through a day long strike and it was excrutiating for me. I could not even imagine how you must feel. I hope he gets back to the breast soon.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Hi there: I also don't have any advice, but just wanted to say that I'm so sorry you're having such a difficult time. I would feel just like you do in this situation. If your ds does have mouth sores, don't discount them as a cause -- I had a bout of mouth sores as an adult andcouldnt eat for about a week. Do you have a good pump? You might rent a symphony, try to take it a week at a time, and just pump for now. Like I said, I dont know anything, but my hunch is that he'll come back to nursing. But if not, know that youve done everything you can for him, and don't doubt yourself. I know some mothers who would have loved a spontaneous weaning at 9 months...
    Kate

Mother to a sweet boy, born at 34 weeks on 2/11/11.
    Proud that I grew 26 lbs of baby before solids, and still counting...

We received banked milk in the NICU. Thank you, donors!!!

So he is only drinking your milk out of a straw? You are pumping and feeding him?
    Most striking children will still eat while Sleepy, Sleeping or waking up. Have you fed him at those times? Or Tried?

Way too lazy for formula

I'm sorry, mama. I have known three mamas whose babies self-weaned at under a year. One of them probably could have gotten her baby back to the breast if she had just kept on offering, the other two tried everything and had no luck. So if your LO won't go back to the breast, it's not because you're a freak. Self-weaning at less than a year is rare but it does happen. 2 of the moms whose babies self-weaned eventually decided to pump for the remainder of the year, and were able to breastfeed that way and redefine their concept of success.

I am that getting your baby to latch when sleepy is a great idea, but if that doesn't work, just get busy with the pump.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I do have a medela pump in style and have been pumping about 5x a day to barely keep up with what he wants. I Have tried nursing him sleepy, asleep, and just waking up. He just locks his little lips together, or wont suck at all. Im so discouraged. But still trying to be hopeful.

Do you think the sores are still there? And still hurting him? I think it's sort of strange that the method that is working is the straw method. BUT I think that there is probably very little work involved in using a straw. And if there are actually STILL sore on his throat that is probably why he chose this method. If having this happen just caused him a bad association....I think you may just have to keep at it. But still only during those time. Is there a way to check? Does he have a follow up appt with the doctor?

Way too lazy for formula

He does have a follow up but its not til Monday (25th) because his Dr is on Vacation and im not to found of the other drs in the practice. I did see a new sore in his mouth. Its on his gum but not where his teeth are coming in. The other dr said the virus would run its course in 7-10 days so idk why he would have a new sore. It could very well be that between the sores in his teeth coming in he just wont nurse. Im just worried that now after 11 days he wont go back. He did play with my "equipment" this morning while sitting on my lap but still hasn't made an attempt to nurse.

Big hugs mama! It will be okay!

Riley and now Gavyn both wouldn't nurse when they were having teething pain. Just last week Gavyn was striking as well. After I caved and tried Tylenol (he was running a slight teething fever) and orajel he would nurse. Before that he bit and arched his back just like you are describing. I was heartbroken because he would cry when he saw the bottles from daycare but wouldn't nurse from me at all.

Keep up hope though! This week he went the opposite and today he wouldn't take a bottle at daycare and just wanted me. I know that should worry me a little bit, but I'm actually happy (he gets solids now in addition to milk).
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

There have been a couple moms here who have had long-term nursing strikes. A couple got the baby back to the breast, a couple didn't.

I'm wondering if the mouth sores caused such a negative association with nursing that he is now refusing. And you just have to keep trying and trying and trying, and I'd try when he's asleep to just ease it in there.

I would rent a hospital grade pump though, just for the month, as letting him play, IMHO is a good, good thing. It's at least a place to start, kwim.

Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!