Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: weaning help

Question weaning help

My DD is 9.5 months old. She nurses 4 times per day. First thing in am (she is losing interest in this one and I have to pump the other breast), before her am nap, before her pm nap, and at bed time. Trying to wean at a pace so that she is off the boob hopefully by one. (i know some people think that is too young but that is my choice). My concern is that three of her feedings are before sleep. Any ideas???? My husband fed her bottle at afternoon nap today... she took the bottle fine but screamed herself to sleep Any suggestions from people who have successfully are greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Default Re: weaning help

nursing to sleep is a great tool . I held on to that feeding for the longest time. In my experience, that was the last feeding to wean from.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I wouldn't worry too much. At around a year, your LO will probably transition from 2 naps to 1 nap. When that happens, you'll be able to drop one of those pre-nap feeds, leaving you with just 2 sessions a day. You can probably figure out a way to get your LO to nap without nursing- for example, a ride in the stroller or car always knocks my kid out without her needing to nurse. That will leave you with just the bedtime feeding, which in my experience is the last to go. There might be some tears when you wean from that one, but enlist daddy's help to put the baby to bed and you may minimize her need for nursing.

Any particular reason why you want to wean by a year? I mean, nursing a toddler is not something everyone wants to do, but I personally highly recommend it. It makes things like bedtime and skinned knees and teething so much easier.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Any particular reason why you want to wean by a year? I mean, nursing a toddler is not something everyone wants to do, but I personally highly recommend it. It makes things like bedtime and skinned knees and teething so much easier.
    Mommal's recommendations are wonderful! But especially this. We weaned down to only nursing before sleep, and I have to say, we have NEVER had a single bedtime battle. Not a single one. My first was weaned early, and my second nursed all through toddler years, and the difference in bedtimes between the two was striking. I can't imagine not having that in my bedtime toolbox. But, if you really do want to wean entirely in a few months, removing yourself from the bedtime routine will probably help. She will probably continue to expect nursing from you, but she will not expect it from your husband, and he and she can create their own bedtime routine together.
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012

We were in the same boat not to long ago DS was about 11 months though. Anyway the way it happened for us was we cut out his morning nap which also eliminated that nursing. Then I started to be able to get him out of the car without waking him up. We still do this for our afternoon nap at 14 months. He would never fall asleep with a bottle in the middle of the day but at night he will. I think I started off giving him a small bottle then nursing at bed time but it might have been the other way around. Eventually he just took the bottle and went to sleep. I think the main thing is not to rush it. We took a couple of weeks or more before dropping the next nursing session. Good luck.

I am ready to wean. I know it may sound selfish but I think one year of breast feeding is good enough. I will definately take it slow so as not to make it a traumatizing experience for her. I will also include my husband in the process. thanks!

No, it doesn't sound selfish! I think all moms reach a point in time where they feel done with nursing, and that point in time is very individual. I just like to recommend extended nursing because in addition to the health benefits, I feel like it makes some of the most challenging aspects of toddlerhood a bit easier to handle. Hope I didn't seem like I was pressuring you!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"