Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need some help :-)

Question Need some help :-)

Hi moms,

I have a few things I need advice on :-)

My ds will be 4weeks on Sunday. He has had only breast but I would like to introduce one bottle of pumped milk a day. I am worried about lowering my supply by doing this.

Also, ds chows down just before we go to bed, sometime around 11pm...he then sleeps about 2 hours (if im lucky) then he is up every 45min. This is the biggest issue I am currently having. Last night I sat up between feedings because I was afraid to go back to sleep only to be awake in such a short time. I get weak in the middle of the night and think about giving a formula bottle to my ds. I fight through it but its tough. I guess I want to know if this is normal for my son to wake up so often to nurse?

Thanks everyone in advance for the help and for putting up with my long post :-)

Default Re: Need some help :-)

Welcome! Up every 45 minutes at night? Ouch! At 4 weeks, I wonder about 2 possibilities:
    1. Baby has days and nights mixed up:http://www.kellymom.com/bf/normal/reverse-cycling.html
    2. Reflux:http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/reflux.html

Either of those seem likely?

A bottle of pumped milk at this point could make your life easier, or harder, depending. As long as you pump enough to fill the bottle every day, you won't kill your supply. But assuming you use the bottle at the same time every day, you could end up with lowered supply during that time of day unless you pump while your baby gets the bottle, in which case what have you gained? KWiM?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

my first LO was a night nurser too. I napped alot during the day and i circled late night movies to watch.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

I don't have the chance to sleep during the day. I have a 4 year old and a 3 year old that keep me going non stop. When my oldest kiddos are down for naps...my ds is nursing back to back and then naps right as my other children are getting up from naps :-(

I gave my first baby a bottle a day so she was used to a bottle for when I had to go back to work. I would pump and daddy would get to give the bottle. With my second I just gave a bottle occasionally and he has done fine now that I'm back to work.

Do you swaddle at night? I found with both my babies it worked wonders to help them sleep. My new favorite is the Woombie. It's super fast and easy.

Good luck. I know it's hard now, but I cherish those middle of the night feedings when it's quiet, just you and baby

I had a 45 minute sleep cycle kiddo, too. It's exhausting! We ended up co-sleeping so that I could sleep while he nursed, and so that I didn't have to wake up as fully to care for him. Is that a possibility for you?
    Teal

25 May 96 and 14 January 08 and 27 February 2012