Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: recommended hours for a baby to sleep at night.

Default recommended hours for a baby to sleep at night.

how long is it recommended for a baby who is two months old to sleep at night.? He will be 3 months old in 20 more days. I nurse my son around 10pm and put him to bed by 11pm. I would set my alarm for either 4 or 5 hours. Mostly he does not wake up by himself, and that's around 4am when 5 hours went by I would wake him up to nurse. Then he will go back to bed by 4:30am for another 3 hours if I am lucky. Sometimes he will wake up before those 3 hours after I had nursed him, and I've only gotten like 2 or less more hours of sleep. Should I not set my alarm anymore and just wait until he wakes up even if its past the 5 hours? He would take naps in his swing, or little jumper throughout the day for 2 or so hours. I have tried swaddling him for a nap in his crib during the day and he would wake up in 30 minutes after I put him down. He is going to be 11 weeks next week and is about 10 to 11lbs. I feel that I only nurse him 7 times a day.

Default Re: recommended hours for a baby to sleep at night.

I would let him sleep as long as he wants at night and probably nurse every two hours during the day. Wow, you are lucky to be getting that stretch of sleep.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

. At that age, you can follow his lead at night. If you can fit in an eighth feeding during the day it certainly wouldn't hurt, but some babies do fine on <8 feedings. Just watch his growth and diaper output. As long as they are fine, so is he.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

By that age, my daughter was on 7 feedings per day. She is doing well, gaining fine, and ahead in her milestones. As long as the diapers and growth are okay as Tracie and mommal said, you are good to go.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

My daughter has been sleeping 9-11 hours a night for several weeks now. It started when she was about 8 weeks old. She gets her ounces in feedings during the day so I am comfortable not waking her to nurse. Enjoy the sleep!! I can't wait till I can hopefully quit Ep'ing and go back to breastfeeding so I can sleep through the night with her!!
    Kristen

I was reading how other mothers on the baby center website for the may 2011 board just let them sleep until early morning in between 5 to 7am with out waking up. These babies are around 2 to 3 months old. So I guess they get 8 hours of sleep without waking up at night.

Since around 8 weeks old my son sleeps in long stretches like that at night. He goes from around 10:30 until anywhere from 5-6:30am. I pick him up and change his diaper, then bring him in the bed to nurse while I doze. Then I put him back in his swaddle and he then sleeps for another 2-3 hours. With the next waking I just reach over and pull him into bed (we have a co-sleeper) and I sleep for another hour or so as he nurses and dozes. Its a pretty relaxing way to start the day.

Now if only I could get him to nap on a consistent basis!!