Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schedule/Colic

Default Schedule/Colic

My lo is 4 1/2 weeks old and is really fussy. I nurse him on demand and we may be on a schedule for two days then it will switch etc. I will return to work Aug 29th. When should I try to get him on a set feeding schedule (for daycare)? I work away from the town my lo will be in so I can't nurse him while I'm at work. Also, he cries the entire time he is awake. I have an overactive letdown/fast flow which ends up giving him lots of air in his belly. He is a hard burper. I've tried everything to prevent this...let the fast flow go into a towel and then latch him back on, burp more often etc but nothing helps. And it seems that he is getting really frustrated the last few days. He is nursing for shorter feedings, more like grazing through the day. It's like he gets mad that the flow is fast. I tried doing block feedings but then he would get frustrated when he would then have to work at it to get milk. Any suggestions?? It really awful to have colic baby that cried non stop and acts like he is in pain. I've done baby massages, gas drops, gripe water etc. Will he eventually adjust to my fast flow and like it??
    Also, his poop & pee diapers are good. No green frothy poops or anything and he is gaining weight.

Default Re: Schedule/Colic

I've wondered about reflux but he rarely spits up (maybe once a week). I've tried leaning back but he doesn't seem to like this position. I'm really at my wits end and really want to quit but I keep convincing myself that it will get better..i just wish i knew when.

I second the side-lying thought. I started doing that and my baby drinks very well. We were also having a problem with my fast flow, so side-lying helped.

I don't know if you're opposed to a pacifier - could he just want to suck? My baby sometimes just wants to suck and go to sleep.

As for the constant eating, he could be hitting his growth spurt early? All babies are different. Just because the books say 6 weeks doesn't mean that your baby will do it right then...
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

I want to add something about daycare and schedule... they don't have to be on a schedule at daycare. They can be fed on demand with the bottle. That's how my caregiver does it. What kind of daycare are you going to be using?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I haven't introduced a bottle yet ( we did try once but he wouldn't take it and that was when my milk wasn't quite in) & he refuses pacifers (i've tried several types).

I'll check out the silent reflux..

As for daycare, I just thought it would be easier to get on a schedule (it's not required by the provider or anything)

Also, I don't know anything about slings. Are there ones you suggest? Can you nurse in these?
    Last edited by @llli*3boyz75; July 21st, 2011 at 11:45 AM.

I read the article but where is the specific symptoms of silent reflux? He does arch his back and cry, does get hiccups and I have noticed that he will burp up some milk and then swallow it back down. This could be it but how do I know for sure? Ask his ped?

A schedule always seems like the easier option. I mean, we adults run our lives based on schedules, right? But babies thrive on responsive care. Babies grow so fast, and their needs grow and change right along with them. A rigid schedule can't accommodate that rapid pace of mental, physical, and emotional development.

No schedule doesn't mean no routine. You and your DCP will probably very naturally fall into a rhthym of feeding the baby and getting the baby to nap just by observing him and his needs. And there are things you can do to encourage a routine, mostly things that have to do with the baby's environment. A daily bath. Dim the lights and turn off the tv and stereo when you want to encourage bedtime. Stuff like that.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

also, what kind of slings do you recommend? I don't know anything about them. can you nurse your lo in them?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*3boyz75 View Post
    As for daycare, I just thought it would be easier to get on a schedule (it's not required by the provider or anything)
    They will figure out their routine. My children are going to an in home daycare, we've used the same one since Lilah was a baby. Both of them are/were fed my milk from a bottle at the daycare - and they are both very different in terms of how they were fed. Lilah ate an ounce or two every hour or so. That was the only way to get milk in her. Beatrix will eat a few ounces, sleep for a while, eat a few more, play, eat, sleep for a while, eat, play eat.

They don't need a schedule where baby gets 4 ounces every 3 hours or something like that.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I also agree they can be fed on demand with a bottle at daycare... although at my kids daycare, the rule is they won't let them go any longer than 3 hours without eating, but they can certainly be fed sooner than that if they show hunger signs.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.