Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: the mini pill...should I?

Default the mini pill...should I?

I go to my 6 week Dr appt tomorrow. And I can't decide if I should start the mini pill or not. With my first I started it then 5 weeks later dried up ( I don't know if this was from the pill or lack of knowledge about bf). My second I did not go on bc and bf for 7 months. This baby my goal is make it one year. Does the mini pill typically dry ppl up? Thanks!
    Wife to Ben: 10-21-06
    Mommy to: Trinity 3-4-09, Adelynn 2-20-10, and Hudson 6-10-11
    Yes that makes me a mom to 3 under 3!
    We proudly:

Default Re: the mini pill...should I?

The mini-pill can cause some women to experience a reduction in supply. Since you've had one negative experience, that suggests that maybe you are one of those people. I'd be reluctant to use hormonal contraception, were I in your shoes, especially this early in your baby's life. There are plenty of non-hormonal options on the market- have you considered using any of those?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree, given your past experience with it I would not risk it again.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I agree as well. Birth Control and I do not get along, so I know I just won't use it. Hubby and I are simply using other options. Can you do something else as the other ladies have suggested?
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com

Yup, I also agree that if the mini pill has dried up your milk in the past, chances are good it would do the same this time. Exact same thing happened to me after baby #1, so I didn't make that mistake after baby #2, and my supply was GREAT the second time around... not so great the first time around, largely due to starting the mini pill at 6 weeks post partum.
    IRL all my friends call me Buff, Wife to CB since 10/11/2003

Mom to DD - "MJ" born 9/2007 @ 8lbs 10oz, 21.5" She's 6 years old!
    My journey nursing MJ started HERE, but we got through it and she breastfed 19.5 months, self-weaned on 5/17/09

Mom to my current nursling, DS - "ME" born 10/2009 @ 10lbs 1oz, 22.25" He's 4 years old! And yup, he's still nursing.

Ask me about my successful VBAC! Click here for my birth story.

thanks ladies, I think I'll stay away from it. I'm not 100% sure if that was my problem with baby #1, b/c I basically had no guidence bf so I always thought I had supply issues. But with baby #2 I found a great lc and now I know so much more. We will just do other things to prevent =] it just makes me nervous cause dh basically sneezes and I get preggo. So until he gets his tubes snipped, I'm super duper nervous.
    Wife to Ben: 10-21-06
    Mommy to: Trinity 3-4-09, Adelynn 2-20-10, and Hudson 6-10-11
    Yes that makes me a mom to 3 under 3!
    We proudly:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jc.johnson View Post
    thanks ladies, I think I'll stay away from it. I'm not 100% sure if that was my problem with baby #1, b/c I basically had no guidence bf so I always thought I had supply issues. But with baby #2 I found a great lc and now I know so much more. We will just do other things to prevent =] it just makes me nervous cause dh basically sneezes and I get preggo. So until he gets his tubes snipped, I'm super duper nervous.
    Dude, with three under 3, I would be nervous too! Your husband must have crazy ninja sperm!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

If you're not planning on having any children in the next few years, you could try an IUD - there are some mamas on here who use it with success.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.