Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Reflux getting worse??

Unhappy Reflux getting worse??

My DS (10 weeks) has GER or reflux. He didn't need medication at the time we saw the doc. This week however I am tempted to take him back. He wants to eat, but the pain makes him scream. I am already doing the semi-upright feeding, sleeping propped up etc. Anyone have experience with reflux? I need a little hope.

Default Re: Reflux getting worse??

My daughter has reflux however she isn't in pain with hers, just throws up loads. I would take your son back if he is obviously in pain. I hope things improve for you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone932 View Post
    My DS (10 weeks) has GER or reflux. He didn't need medication at the time we saw the doc. This week however I am tempted to take him back. He wants to eat, but the pain makes him scream. I am already doing the semi-upright feeding, sleeping propped up etc. Anyone have experience with reflux? I need a little hope.
    Reflux is nasty!!! My daughter's was so bad it required surgery to correct due to she was aspirating from it also. Your doing good about the upright feedings & elevated bed, another thing to try is to hold strait up and down after feedings for at least 30 mins. Avoid putting him in a car seat for a long peorid of time due to it bend the tummy and puts pressure on it, can make reflux worse. Another thing to try is to lessen feeding amounts and increase frequency (ie: If he nurses every 3 hours from both breast, nurse him on one breast, then a hour and a half later, nurse on the other breast, etc....) it can help by not getting the tummy as full and less pressure.
    Most babies get better within or by 6 months, some it takes longer, rarely it is bad enough to have to have surgery (my daughters was due to it was causing other problems). If it is causing him pain, you do need to speak with the pedi., it might require medication to help out so the acid in his stomach it is not burning his esphogas. If the pedi is not responsive, you may need to see a pedi Gastroentroligist (sp) or Pedi GI. Good Luck and if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Thanks babygirlsmom! I appreciate it. I hate doubting myself etc.

Quote Originally Posted by tbone932 View Post
    Thanks babygirlsmom! I appreciate it. I hate doubting myself etc.
    Understand. I spent months questioning if what I was doing was right. Best think I know now is to trust that mothering instinct!!!! Your very welcome!!!!