Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ? - Breastfeeding with flat nipples

Default Re: ? - Breastfeeding with flat nipples

Hi! Just wanted to give a quick update
    My baby was born on March 30th and fortunately we have been doing well with the bf. The shells did help draw out my nipples some, although I don't use them anymore now. Too much leaking after my milk came in. Besides, since he has a good suck, he draws them out.
    Now, 10 days later, I've developed some cracks - not too bad (at least yet). I'm using lanolin to heal them. However I'll put that in a different post.
    Thanks again for all the suggestions on flat nipples!

Thanks for the update Alicia!

Ask away, that's what we're here for!

Congratulations!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Hey Alicia,

Wow, what great news! Congrats on your new baby and on getting bf off to a good start despite the flat nipples!

Sorry to hear you've developed cracked nipples, though -- so painful! I'll look for your post with more details on this.

--Rebecca

I also had this problem (unknown to me until the lactation consultant and midwife pointed it out). I used a nipple shield to get my baby to latch on. During the feeding (when she took a break), I would remove the nipple shield and she would then be able to latch on because the nipple had been pulled out. Now (5 weeks) I don't have to use it at all.