Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: too few feedings?

Default too few feedings?

I think I know the answer I just want some confirmation: My baby girl is 6 weeks old. Since coming home from the hospital she slept a 6 hour stretch every night. At about 1 month she started sleeping 8 hours every night. For the last week she's been going about 9 hours. This means that during the day I'm doing six 20 minute feedings (roughly every three hours). Her weight gain is still good, my milk production is still good, wet and dirty diapers are still good. Should I be concerned that she's not getting more food? She naturally wakes up for a three hour feeding, but should I wake her up for 2 1/2 hour feedings? Help!

Default Re: too few feedings?

If her weight gain and wet/dirty diapers are good, I don't think you need to worry. When my son was a newborn he only wanted to nurse for about 10 minutes, one side, every 3-4 hours. I kept trying to feed him more often but he would just get annoyed. His weight gain was great, so his pediatrician kept reassuring me he was getting plenty to eat. You might want to monitor just to make sure you don't see a big drop in supply from too long without feedings, but if all is well don't worry.

Default Re: too few feedings?

wow! lucky momma when a baby sleeps..
    I agree watch wets, and poopy diapars, you might find when the baby starts a growth spurt her sleeping habbits will change. Newborns should nurse 8-12 times in 24 hours. They should have 5-6 realy wet diapars, and gain an average of 6 oz a week. IF I was worried about my newborn I would try and add an extra feed after supper while we were watching tv.