Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: the truth behind rice cereal

Default the truth behind rice cereal

hey. i went to my son's 4 month visit at the dr a few weeks ago and the dr said i could start giving rice cereal. i told him i was not interested in giving cereal, that we had done that with our older son and it did not seem valuable. i started to mention BLS but did not go too into detail.

the dr seemed to not really be listening , just said that if i didnt want to start now that was ok. i'm not a big fan of the dr...

when i go back for the 5 moth visit i am sure he is going to ask if we started and maybe push it again.

so i just want to know my stuff when i talk to him, not sound flaky. anyone able to give me some good details about rice cereal?

i have read supporters of cereals say something about iron level... is this true? what are better foods to make sure the baby has enough iron than if that is the case?

thanks for the support!

Default Re: the truth behind rice cereal

My Ped is the same (he's since been fired lol) and really pushes solids early. My DD had no interest at 4 months, barely an interest at 5, and started at about 5.5 months with sweet potatoe puree I made myself. My Ped pushes food each time and I would explain she was clearly not ready and he would respond "just shove the spoon in further" or another equally insensitive comment.

If you Bfing, then your LO is getting lots of iron, that is actually more easily absorbed than from food. And if you are worried, give iron rich foods like sweet potatoe (bake with skin on), or green veg like mashed green beans, etc. Do what feels right to you. Or switch docs like I did, and if that's not an option, just tell him what he wants to hear. I find no reason to argue with ignorant people, even if they are the doctor!

P.S. We did BLS and she's eating everything off my plate at 10.5 months and completely rejected purees after a few weeks of tasting real food at 8 months. Babies do what they want!
    Mirkka

Mama to DD born September 7, 2010, and DS born October 28, 2012 and Wife to DH July 5, 2008

We love and love

Here's a good link for info on iron. But like the PP mentioned, if you're nursing, your baby is likely a-ok in the iron department.

There's no reason to give rice cereal if you're not into it. It's soft and tasteless, which makes it a more acceptable first food for young babies who really aren't ready for solids. I guess you could kind of think of it as a training food. That said, if you wait until your baby actually IS ready, you won't really need a training food in the first place

I think a lot of mothers (me included) have had success with simply saying that they plan to follow the guidelines from the American Academy of Pediatrics and wait until at least six months before introducing solids. I'm guessing most peds aren't going to argue that strongly against the recommendations of their own professional body
    Elizabeth, mama to Lillian - 10/03/10

rice cereal is just empty calories The add iron, but it's fortified and therefore hardly any is actually absorbed by baby. Natural sources of iron is better, but that isn't necessary until after 6 months if you're breastfeeding. There usually isn't a need to monitor iron levels until 9 months or so, but if you're concerned you can have an iron test done, or use an iron supplement.

BLS is great. Whole foods are the way to go. Rice cereal is unnecessary
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

"Thank you for the suggestion, doctor. I'll let you know how it goes. Now, on to the thing that I am concerned about right now..."

It's an easy and nonconfrontational way out of the discussion.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

We did cereals, but didn't start until after 6 months (as per Dr. Sears). http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...ing-solid-food

As for cereals, it's parent preference. My girls seemed to have real issues with texture, so solids was a nice, easy way to introduce them, without the vomiting / gagging. But it's what worked for us. For the most part, I made their foods from here: http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/ Better for them and cheaper than buying premade stuff with salt, sugars and chemicals.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

thank you. i appreciate it