Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pumping amount

Default pumping amount

hello,
    my son is almost 5 months old. i seem to only be able to pump 4 oz per session every 3.5 hours when i am away. this is the same amount i've been pumping since he was born. my child care is saying that he seems to continue to be hungry after he drinks 4 oz so i told her to give him 4.5-5oz. is this normal to not increase pump out take as child grows? will i ever begin pumping more?

Default Re: pumping amount

My pumping output actually went down as my LO's got older. In a month or two, you will probably start giving your son solids to augment the EBM. Also, neither of my two ever took more than 4 to 5oz at a feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*wdsmom View Post
    My pumping output actually went down as my LO's got older. In a month or two, you will probably start giving your son solids to augment the EBM. Also, neither of my two ever took more than 4 to 5oz at a feeding.
    Totally normal for the age and for a baby who is nursing and taking bottles. Also, the amount you are pumping is totally normal, as most moms make about 1 oz per hour.

You can try doing compressions instead of relying on the pump, if you are not already doing that, and pumping for 5 minutes after you get the last drops, as you might get a second letdown, and you would stimulate more production. Downside is that on the weekend, you might have more than you need. Sounds like you just need a little more.

Mine have all topped out at 4 oz per feeding. Are they sure he is actually hungry? Any signs of solids readiness?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

my nanny says he seems irritable after the 4 oz bottle. sometimes i think he just has a gas bubble that he lets out when he is done nursing/feeding. when i am nursing i notice this too, but when he is upright he burps and is happy again. i don't think he's ready for solids. he is only sitting when supported and doesn't seem to care about what i am putting in my mouth. he does make chewing motions with his mouth quite often though... maybe he is getting ready. i have to admit that i am happy just nursing, it's so easy!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sk1718 View Post
    my nanny says he seems irritable after the 4 oz bottle. sometimes i think he just has a gas bubble that he lets out when he is done nursing/feeding. when i am nursing i notice this too, but when he is upright he burps and is happy again. i don't think he's ready for solids. he is only sitting when supported and doesn't seem to care about what i am putting in my mouth. he does make chewing motions with his mouth quite often though... maybe he is getting ready. i have to admit that i am happy just nursing, it's so easy!
    I think lots of caregivers THINK they're still hungry and people tend to want to comfort with food. And what susan said about waiting for a second letdown if you're not doing that already is a good trick. If you're using a PISA just press the little yellow button again and it'll go to letdown speed again, ecouraging another. And I agree with you - it is so much easier just nursing! Take your time with the solids --- that's a whole new world
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

He is probably not hungry then. He might just need a good burp!

And it doesn't really sound like he's ready for solids either.

Suggest alternative soothing methods should be tried first before they give him another oz while you work on increasing your supply. They may find you are still sending the right amount of milk.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!