Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping and nursing from day one

Default Pumping and nursing from day one

I would like to nurse more than anything, however I will be going back to work right away and I need some advice.

I would like to start pumping after each nursing session to start building a stash. I will be working from 6-3. My hope is to have this schedule:
    Up at 4:30- nurse and pump whatever is left
    Go to work
    Pump 6:45-7:15
    Pump at 9:15-9:45
    Pump at 12:00-12:20
    Pump at 2:20-2:30
    Pick baby up at daycare, nurse at 3:00 and then pump
    Nurse at 6:30 and the. Pump
    Nurse at 9:30 and then pump
    Nurse at 12:30 and then pump and the. Start all over

I'm exhausted thinking about it all. I want to up my supply which is why I want to pump so much.

What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

Thanks for any tips or tricks

I am renting a hospital grade pump.

Default Re: Pumping and nursing from day one

i think you could stretch out the pumping sessions to probably every 2.5 hours, and with that frequency i don't think you'll need to be there for a half hour, more like 15-20 minutes. If there's a fridge, just leave your horns assembled and put them in the fridge so that you don't have to wash between each session. I think you'll find as long as you're emptying your breasts regularly, you may not need to pump after every nursing session - you may want to once in a while - instead of doing that i might suggest just waking in the middle of the night to pump instead of putting all that extra effort in after nursing. I would also suggest that you don't nurse your baby on a schedule when you're home. Lots of babies who have their Mama's gone all day will want to nurse much more frequently in the evening -- and that is better for developing a good supply that pumping could ever be. Good luck.
    Julia and Maxwell (and Dan and Haddie)
    Maxwell, born January 3, 2010
    A year on Mama's milk and still loving it

You could consider single side pumping...pump at the same time you nurse.

However, you may, by doing all of this, have a severe, severe OS. This is the same schedule I was told to follow when I had my first baby. And it led directly to an absolutely insane oversupply. I had plugged ducts literally all the time because it was entirely too much milk.

Also, scheduling for the BABY is a bad, bad idea. Nurse the baby on demand. That's what's best for supply.

You may have more than enough milk without doing all this.

When you say going back to work right away, what do you mean by that? At three weeks? One week? Six weeks?

ETA: I have also noticed that pumping from day one turns into a slippery slope to not breastfeeding for many women. They get sucked into watching the PUMP, feeding the pump, and they quit nursing. Better to not pump unless you have to, to not pump when you are with baby, and then only pump at work. Pumping is associated with early bottle introduction, which, for some babies, results in nipple preference, and then baby won't nurse. Pumping is hard, hard work that requires a lot of dedication, and it's not always 100% effective at maintaining supply, so some moms also lose their supply. Or get stuck EPing, which really is very much not the best for baby or mom. There's a lot of disadvantages to EPing.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; July 21st, 2011 at 07:49 AM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How old will your baby be when you have to go back to work?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I used to pump every 3 hours for about 15 minutes. I also pumped after my first nursing session of the morning and that gave me just enough.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby