Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12 months, teething, biting and refusing to nurse - day 5!

Default 12 months, teething, biting and refusing to nurse - day 5!

My daughter turned one last week and the very next day she was super fussy with teething and began biting me. Every time I offer her my breast, she bites my nipple and pulls off without drinking. I told her no and put my breast away, did this several times, then yelled "Ow" a few times as the day progressed and I became more sore. I've been pumping and supplementing with formula now for 5 days. I still offer her a nurse a few times a day and she consistently leans in and bites.

She bites my arms (and legs). She has bitten my husband a few times but seems to have stopped. My parents were visiting for the last week and cared for her a lot during that time and never were bitten. I mostly say "no biting" calmly and set her down and ignore her for one minute before picking her up again, I gave her a little love bite back yesterday.

She is biting less on my arms, I can see her stop herself at times. I've been trying to anticipate and redivert her attention. I give her things to chew on and praise her when she doesn't bite. Been trying to hold her more than usual. Was planning to wean soon, but I am heartbroken the way it's transpired.

Anyone had a similar experience? Wondering if it's the end or just a strike...

Default Re: 12 months, teething, biting and refusing to nurse - day 5!

Sorry to hear your having a rough time. One of my twins was a biter at that age too. She had already been weaned my milk had dried up. It seemed it mostly happened when she was really upset it got to where I wouldn't even get that mad because I felt bad that she was so upset she could not control her emotions. It definitely sounds like a strike that is happened so suddenly. You could pump and continue offering to nurse. Hope it all works out for you.
    Did this for 9months with Kailey and Hailey
    who are now 8.

weaned Dane somewhere around 3.5 no longer he likes to sleep with his sisters He's now 5

Now I am , , My baby Cruz who is almost 6 months and my last baby

Default Re: 12 months, teething, biting and refusing to nurse - day 5!

Well, after 6 days we started up again. A couple of bites upon release, I've gotten better at predicting and pressing her into me before she clamps down. We're in more of a morning and bedtime routine now, which is good for me. So glad I didn't give up