Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is this oversupply or something else?

Default Is this oversupply or something else?

I was taking fenugreek 3 capsules twice a day until I read that the usual dose is 3 capsules 3 times a day, so I started taking that amount yesterday. Usually DD is a suck suck suck suck suck suck suck....pause nurser without an audible swallow. Now she is a suck pause swallow, suck pause swallow, stop, pull off the breast without unlatching, suck pause swallow, suck pause swallow, pull off the breast without unlatching, repeat as needed and make noise in the process. Maybe she's latching better (I can't tell the difference)so my milk supply is easier to get to. Should I be concerned that she stops and pulls away periodically? I actually feel more assured that she's getting milk because now I can hear the swallow. She's also more vigorous about nursing and stays awake while nursing longer. She still falls asleep but she seems to be more satisfied instead of waking up 10 minutes later hungry.

Is this normal? Should I be concerned that she pulls away?

Default Re: Is this oversupply or something else?

Does she let go when she pulls away? Is there any spraying? It could just be her way of dealing with the new supply. If it doesn't hurt you then I would say don't worry about. Keep an eye on her poop though and make sure that it doesn't change to green, which would indicate she is not getting the right balance of foremilk and hindmilk.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

Quote Originally Posted by kst7399 View Post
    Keep an eye on her poop though and make sure that it doesn't change to green, which would indicate she is not getting the right balance of foremilk and hindmilk.
    We've been weaning her off a formula supplement, so her poop is always a weird color. She still gets 6-8 oz a day of formula.

I've never seen the milk spray. Maybe it's spraying into her mouth, but not bad enough for her to unlatch?

So then you are probably fine. If it were too great, she probably wouldn't be able to handle it. As you start to replace the formula with breastmilk watch as her poop does change. Look for mucous or green, something that is different than the formula poops but not the orange/yellow of a breastfed poop.

Congratulations on your efforts of weaning from formula to breastmilk! Keep up the great work!
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I think I'm gonna try not taking the fenugreek and see what happens. I mean it's supposed to increase supply and that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

Pulling off the breast without unlatching, that sounds painful! Was it? That happened to me one time, and it did hurt.

I agree with the pp. If you have been working to increase your supply, she is probably getting used to the new more plentiful amount of milk she gets when she breastfeeds. Nothing to worry about. Good job mama!

It is also possible that, since you are still supplimenting with a little formula, she is trying to treat you like a bottle . Once you get her off the suppliment completely, this will hopefully go away.

HTH,

Tiana