Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping a lot?

Default Sleeping a lot?

I have a dd that is 4 wks and 5 days it seems like she sleeps a lot. When she was born she weighed 8lbs 5 oz and at her 1 month check up she weighed 10 lbs 11oz. I'm worried when she sleeps at night it's so hard to wake her up to eat. She doesn't eat near as long as she does during the day. Please help

Default Re: Sleeping a lot?

How are her wets/dirties? How many times would you estimate you nurse her in a 24hr period? Does she seem content after nursing? When you say "sleeps a lot", how much are we talking about? 4 hours? 6? 8?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

She wets her diaper every time she eats sometimes it's really full and other times it's a little. Her dirty diapers are confusing because last week my doc thought she had diarrhea. Dd had watery yellow stools every time she ate. so they told me to give her pedialite. So I did then thedoc said maybe she wasn't getting the hind milk so to pump and give it to her out of a bottle. Still the same thing she poops twice a day or more it is yellow just not as much. Sometimes she crystal when pooping but I'm not sure if it is her belly or the spit up. Any how she sleeps 5 hrs to 6 but never more but when she wakes up she doesn't nurse as long so it makes me worried.

I nurse her 8 to 10 times. Every 3 to 4 hours during the day.

It sounds like she's doing great, mama. I know it's weird when they start sleeping longer stretches, but my daughter started doing something similar probably around the same age. Slept from 10-3 or so. I wouldn't worry, since it sounds like her output is great.

Nothing that you describe about your situation leads me to believe you need to pump and supplement. Watery yellow stools are fine; Pedialyte isn't going to make them any less watery, and it's going to keep your baby from nursing as much which can decrease your supply. Crying when pooping is fine. A decrease in the amount of poop is normal around this age; breast milk is designed to be completely digested, and so after the first month or so, poops can decrease in frequency (sometimes down to once a week even).

HTH!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thank u so much! It just makes me nervous not being able to see how many Oz she's getting. I want her to be as healthy as she can be which is why I bf

One last question how can u tell if they are content after a feeding? Just want to make sure I'm doing this right.

Well, mine would always fall asleep

If they fall asleep or come off on their own without fussiness, you know they are content. Now, sometimes a baby will fuss after a feeding, but that doesn't NECESSARILY mean they aren't content.

Probably 95% of the time when people ask if they are doing it right, they are doing it right. Trust your body and your baby, mama!
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jeno View Post
    It sounds like she's doing great, mama. I know it's weird when they start sleeping longer stretches, but my daughter started doing something similar probably around the same age. Slept from 10-3 or so. I wouldn't worry, since it sounds like her output is great.

Nothing that you describe about your situation leads me to believe you need to pump and supplement. Watery yellow stools are fine; Pedialyte isn't going to make them any less watery, and it's going to keep your baby from nursing as much which can decrease your supply. Crying when pooping is fine. A decrease in the amount of poop is normal around this age; breast milk is designed to be completely digested, and so after the first month or so, poops can decrease in frequency (sometimes down to once a week even).

HTH!
    that kind of poop sounds normal and not at all like the runs to me. It sounds like normal BF poop. I would question your doctor's knowledge regarding breastfeeding. It honestly sounds like very bad advice.

Christine
    Baby Girl Born 2/17/10 to her two mommies
    BF from day one. I looked up one day and realized I'm nursing a toddler!

Yes, I am SHOCKED the doctor told you to give a baby that small some pedialyte!? Your baby is doing just fine, it seems, based on your description of the yellow poop. My baby also has that yellowy looking stuff.

As for sleeping, ENJOY IT! Some babies just sleep a lot. As long as the wet and dirty are happening, you're good to go.

As for knowing if she's content, I agree with jeno. If she's not fussing, she's happy. However, fussing can mean that she has a bubble or needs to be burped. I always offer again - if my baby turns his head away or doesn't latch on (maybe just licks or plays or something like that at the breast), then I know he's done.

You'll get it all figured out. Baby is still figuring herself out as well!