Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 week old - eating and sleeping question

Default 8 week old - eating and sleeping question

Hi all - I have an 8 week old little boy who is EBF. He's gaining VERY well (is already over 15lbs), wets, dirties, everything right on target. He's sleeping nicely at night.

My question is about the daytime.

Here is our basic schedule so far.

Wakes at 6 or so am, eats fully (only one side), then asleep again until 8:30 or 9 am.

Eats fully again, wants to go right back to sleep around 10. However, we're lucky if he sleeps until 11. Then, he wants to eat but gets frustrated. He'll generally fall BACK to sleep after barely eating anything - fussing, pulling away, etc.

Then, he'll sleep somewhere around 1230 or so until 2. Wakes up, eats fully.

Then back to sleep around 3. Awake by 4. Maybe eat fully.

Small nap around 5.

Back to eating again. Attempt another nap by 630 or 7.

Full asleep "for the night" around 830 or 9. He will wake about 1 or 2x in the middle of the night.

Is that all normal? Why is he only "snacking" and barely eating at the 11am/12 pm feeding?

Clearly, he wants for nothing - he's huge...lots of sweet baby arm and leg rolls. But, I'm frustrated. Am I just hoping too early for him to take awesome naps?

Thanks!

Default Re: 8 week old - eating and sleeping question

If you weren't obviously troubled by your baby's routine, I'd think you were bragging. I mean, 8 weeks old and only waking 1-2 times at night? And taking 3 hour-long naps during the day plus some short bonus naps? Where do I sign up?

Seriously, your baby's routine sounds wonderful. At that age, my girls would generally take about 3 naps, each an hour or so long, but they were up 5-8 times a night.

One way to encourage slightly longer naps is to put your LO in a swing or a sling. My girls always napped longer when moving than when lying in a crib.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I know he's doing well. Is it normal, though, for him to only snack like that? I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong.

Tonight, my husband gave him a bottle at his 5pm wakeful-ness. He wouldn't take much (normally takes about 4 oz - only took 1.5 this time). We only do one bottle a day (if at all) just so there is an option in case I needed to go to an appointment or something like that.

Trying not to complain...and he won't sleep in a swing and hates the sling. Loves his bed, obviously. . .

As long as you are nursing on demand and the baby is gaining adequate weight and producing adequate diapers, you can relax about his eating patterns. Sme babies prefer huge, infrequent "meals". Some prefer frequent small "snacks". Many mix it up, having some big meals and some small snacks. There's a big range of normal.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you. That makes me feel better!
    Miss Sassy Pants 1/9/05 BF 13 months
    The Animal 5/25/11 . . . BF 15 months
    Just welcomed Flash 4/24/13 . . . getting to know each other
    Married to the man of my dreams.

I'm a blogging mama too: www.clutteredgenius.com