Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to tell if little one is allergic!

Exclamation How to tell if little one is allergic!

My daughter is almost 5 wks old and gets these little red bumps that get darker red when she bf. She sometimes let's out a cry in the middle of feeding which makes her sometimes choke! When I burp her she usually spits up and then seems to get better. Sometimes I feel like it's her tummy. So how can u tell if the food your eating hurts her belly or is allergic to it. Please help it makes me so sad to hear her high pitch cry.

Default Re: How to tell if little one is allergic!

Where are the red bumps? If they are on her face, it may be baby acne. The time frame would be right for that. If it is baby acne, it's not an indication of allergy. It's just a normal phase of infancy.

A baby who chokes and fusses in the middle of a feeding may be reacting to a rapid flow of milk, or to an uncomfortable gas bubble, or (paradoxically), to a flow of milk that has slowed down. Again, not things which are indicative of allergy.

If your baby has an allergy or intolerance to something in your diet, you may see some or all of the following symptoms:
    - excema (a scaly, itchy, possibly peeling rash)
    - consistently green poops
    - poops which contain flecks or streaks of blood
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Well she has none of those symptoms! So that is a relief! Maybe it is a gas bubble? She seems to get them with a lot of the feedings. Are ther certain foods that I should stay away from. That may hurt her belly?

No, unless a baby has a specific allergy concern there is no reason for a breastfeeding mom to avoid any particular food or class of foods. Most moms can just continue to eat their regular diet. A lof of women are told to avoid "gassy" foods, but the foods that make adults gassy (like beans and cabbage) are not the ones that make babies gassy.

However, some moms do perceive a connection between their consumption of a certain food and a baby's gassiness or mood. Common culprits are dairy, wheat, soy, and caffeine. If you're really concerned about what you are eating, keep a food journal. You may notice a correlation between what you eat and how your baby acts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"