Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning off nipple shield question

Default Weaning off nipple shield question

DD is 6 weeks and in the past few days I have finally gotten her to nurse without the shield! But she is nursing for a much shorter time now. She was nursing at least 10 min per side and sometimes up to 25 min per side. Now without the shield it's hard to get her going longer than 5 to 10 min and I have to support my breast the whole time and keep it squeezed. I did try putting the shield on at the end and she still wouldn't nurse longer with the shield. So any suggestions on how to get her to go longer? She is still having good output but I'm still using the shield every other feeding because I want to make sure she is still getting enough. Thanks!

Default Re: Weaning off nipple shield question

The best way to determine if your baby is getting enough milk is not by watching the clock, but by watching the baby and her diapers. If she seems content, and is having adequate wet and poopy diaper output, she is getting enough to eat even if her feedings are short. And shorter feedings are probably normal now that you have ditched the shield. Shields are notorious for causing slower milk transfer and longer feeding times. And as babies get older and stronger and become better nursers, their feeding times typically get shorter regardless of whether or not there's a shield involved.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congrats on getting her to nurse without the shield! I am guessing it's like pp said and the baby is just getting better at nursing and is more efficient. As long as baby seems content with the shorter nursing sessions and is having good output in diapers, I wouldn't stress about it!
    Mama to my Rubies
    C '07
    A '09
    And my Christmas Eve baby
    L '12
    I will carry you all my life
    And I will praise the one who's chosen me to carry you
    W Apr '11
    R Nov '11
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. *Helen Kellar*

She wasn't as content after feedings but today she has done better and is nursing longer. I feel like she is emptying my breasts more than yesterday. But now she isn't latching quite right so I'm trying to fix that now. I think she isn't getting as much because her latch wasn't right. But at least we're off the shield!