Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fat

Default Fat

OK, I'm noticing a few things about the milkfat in my stored milk. This is the milk I'm storing in my fridge's freezer (side by side, in the lowest drawer, in the back) that I rotated within 30-45 days of pumping.

1. The fat globules stick badly to the bottle, the inside of the teat, to everything plastic they contact. I store the milk in the pumping bottle in the fridge usually, but I have just left it out and pumped into room temperature. I always cool it down before freezing. It's not every bottle, so I'm not sure what is going on there. I can't fit the special teats on glass bottles; they leak really badly when I try.

2. There was several days' worth of thawed milk that had golden globules that very rapidly floated to the top of the milk. Like if it stood for 5 minutes, there they were. They did not readily blend when I swirled the milk. I've never seen anything like this. The milk looked OK while frozen. What I thawed this morning seems to be OK.

3. The latter milk smelled really gross after just a few hours. He drank it, but not readily. Can't be sure if that was because he wasn't that hungry or if it was because it tasted weird.

I haven't touched anything in the deep freeze, just this, so I'm not sure if it's related to being stored in a freezer versus a deep freeze.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Fat

Weird.

I hate when the fat sticks so bad to the bottles. I've noticed it incorporates better if I warm the sides of the bottle w/ my hands.

Not sure what the golden globules are. I've never seen them myself.

I'd take a bag or two out of your deep freeze and see what it does.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

i also had some frozen milk stick to the sides of the bottles. not sure why because like you it was not every frozen bottle just some. i thought at the time that it might have something to do with the fact that while i was eping i had a huge foremilk hindmilk imbalance. some of my pumped milk was all hindmilk and i think those were the ones that separated the most. most of my frozen milk is foremilk so it stays nice in the bottle but it does a number to little mans poop

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

The milk I thawed last night is just fine. I do not get it. The milk fat isn't even sticking. Huh. And it's the same amount of hind milk as usual; I also mix my bottles.

ETA: gotta get some out of the deep freeze and check it out, and I'm sure I have some from the same time frame in there.
    Last edited by @llli*aprilsmagic; July 20th, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Have you used olive oil when pumping? Maybe it was that? Or some lanolin or something?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

No, I quit using that some time back after I got settled in the 36's and they don't rub (and it didn't help the soreness anyway).

. What I thawed last night is fine too. Maybe something I ate? Who knows. I'll keep watching.

But it is good to know that others have milkfat that sticks to the bottles. I was wondering if I had done something wrong all these years!
    Susan

have you read the lipase thread? if your milk is smelling like metal or soap & getting stringy it sounds like excesive lipase which is what I have..... I had to throw away my whole stash cause DS wouldnt take it
    Mommy to Christopher 02/26/11 my miracle baby

Susan, do you mean that the fat sticks to the bottles when it is cold? Mine always does that. I thought it was normal? Maybe it is related to the lipase issue that we both have.

charadawn - what do you mean by stringy? I'm not sure I've noticed that.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

The fat from my milk almost always sticks to the bottles when they've been in the fridge. Its even on the sides of the bags, but mixes in when I mix it up. I've noticed that sometimes it doesn't seem to completely mix until its warmed up. I thought this was all normal?
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Sometimes the fat in the milk sticks to everything plastic. It doesn't matter if it's hot or cold. And it's little clumpy things. Sounds like it's normal I don't understand why it does it sometimes and not others. Who knows.

Yes, I'm sure it is related in some way to lipase That stupid enzyme drives me bonkers. EPing and scalding really, really stinks. So far, if I freeze it within 24 hours, it stays OK. Fortunately, Gav doesn't seem to care if it's just starting to affect the taste.

I never could figure out the golden globule thing. I haven't found any more bags with that issue in it.
    Susan