Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Won't eat - and other things

Default Won't eat - and other things

my baby hasn't eaten for almost 5 hours and he has been up for an hour now. I have tried to feed him a few times because he gets fussy, and he acts like he wants to eat, but as soon as he latches half on, he screams bloody murder. He did this last night both times he woke up. The first time, my DH actually heard him because he was screaming for 15-20 minutes. He acts like he is in pain. I gave him tylenol at that time. My DH said maybe he was hungry. I told him that I had already tried to feed DS twice and he wouldn't eat, but lo and behold he ate just fine. When he woke up 4 hours later and started to cry when I fed him, I gave him Tylenol again. This morning, though, DH said no. He doesn't want for baby to get to the point where Tylenol doesn't work. And baby did calm down after just 5 minutes (which he WOULD NOT do when he woke up the first time - 15-20 minutes of painful screaming - broke my heart). He screams every time I try to feed him, but is fine (although fussy periodically) for the most part. He will suck on a binky, which he is doing right now. He also won't let me put him down, so I have him in the pack and he is currently falling asleep. I thought he was teething and maybe that was the problem, but maybe not.
    Oh, also for the past few days, DS has hated his favorite side. He will only eat from that side in the football hold. He has done this several times on the other side, so even though he hasn't ever done this with the other side I wasn't worried. But maybe all these things go together.
    Now he is asleep, without eating. He hasn't ever done this, he likes to eat. He doesn't feel like he has a fever or anything. Any advice or ideas of what could be wrong?
    Please excuse my typos, I am always NAK.

DS since 1/30/11

Default Re: Won't eat - and other things

He is currently eating after 6 hours. He woke up from an hour nap and wasn't fussy like he usually is when he wants to eat. I changed his diaper and then decided to try to feed him and he ate, no problems ( well I still haven't tried his formerly favorite side).

ETA: still had to be on the football hold on the formerly favorite side. Prior to eating, his stomach was gurgling and then he pooped. He pooped more while I was changing him and it was frothy. DH thinks that the caffeine I accidently had (I got a fancy coffee drink yesterday afternoon and asked for decaf, but they gave me caffeine) after not having caffeine for weeks probably made his tummy sick.
    Last edited by @llli*firsttime; July 20th, 2011 at 09:36 AM.

DS since 1/30/11

Have you thought about an ear infection?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

is lo getting any teeth?

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

I thought about that, but he has no fever and doesn't pull on his ear or anything. He will lay on that side, just not nurse. He seems totally content right now. What are the symptoms of ear infection?

DS since 1/30/11

He does have little white bumps under his gums, but has for months. They do seem more swollen and he is much more interested in gnawing on things than he used to be. Does the pain of either teething or ear infections come in waves? Because sometimes he is great and other times he seems so miserable.

DS since 1/30/11

I don't know. It could have been gas, or somethign else. My daughter went through something like this about a month ago where she would scream and scream and arch her back and not want to nurse. It was odd. And then after a few days it stopped. Oh, and she had horrendous smelling gas at the time. I took her to the doctor and they couldn't find a thing wrong with her.

I don't know much about ear infections...

As for teething, yes, I think it comes and goes. Also, sometimes we think they want to nurse, or that they should want to nurse, but maybe they don't. My first baby would nurse anytime and all the time. My second one is not that way.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

take to the doctor i know its rare but he could have strep or something, my 4 month old just got over it the doc couldnt believe it because she was ebf

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*firsttime View Post
    I thought about that, but he has no fever and doesn't pull on his ear or anything. He will lay on that side, just not nurse. He seems totally content right now. What are the symptoms of ear infection?
    Babies don't quite know how to localize pain, so he probably would not be tugging at his ear if he did have an ear infection. Also, it is possible to have an ear infection without a fever...not the norm, but it is possible. I would take him in and at least have his ears looked at - it can't hurt at this point.
    Proud mama to Matthew Rory, born naturally 10/29/10, and mama to Callie Elisabeth, born naturally 5/15/12.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jennygal View Post
    Babies don't quite know how to localize pain, so he probably would not be tugging at his ear if he did have an ear infection. Also, it is possible to have an ear infection without a fever...not the norm, but it is possible. I would take him in and at least have his ears looked at - it can't hurt at this point.
    The one time Joe had an ear infection, he had only a very low fever - so low I didn't even notice until we took his temp. His main symptom was refusing to nurse. I felt really guilty when I realized he had an ear infection, and there I had just thought he was being ornery! So anyway, you probably have nothing to worry about, but if it does not improve, consider taking him in to double-check.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.