Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yogurt as beginner food?

Default Yogurt as beginner food?

My LO is almost 7 months old and does not seem to really like any food I've offered, even mixed w/ EBM (which is shocking since older DD couldn't get enough when we began w/ her 2yrs ago!!)

I know yogurt is milk based, but I thought I read somewhere because of the cultures it's ok to give babies under 1yr, does that sound familar to anyone? I make our own yogurt (super easy in crockpot!) so it has no sugar, additives, etc... Has anyone tried yogurt as a first food? Sometimes dairy "locks you up", has that been a problem if you've tried it?

thanks!

Default Re: Yogurt as beginner food?

I have not given yogurt as the first food, but I have given it at 9 months, as per the recommendation of my doctor. She's your baby. You know her best.
    If you obey all the rules, you miss all the fun. - Katharine Hepburn

I thought yogurt was fine starting at 6 months. This might help http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/tipYogurt.htm It says it's good. I'd do it as a first food
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I also heard giving yogurt and protein first was good beginner foods cause it's supposed to be easier on the digestion
    I'm Melanie and back to being a SAHM again... which is lovely!
    Mom to DD1 Peyton born June 22, 2009 @ 4:40pm (39 weeks & 6 Days) 7 lbs & 6 Oz... Successfully BF for 25 months!
    Mom to DD2 Sadie born March 3, 2012 @ 1:44am (39 weeks & 1 day) 6 lbs & 9 Oz

Yogurt was my LO's first food and she absolutely LOVES it!! We started at just under 8 months...but it's really a matter of simplicity, I eat a lot of yogurt, and since my fiance does solids and I only do nursing, she gets to share with me if she's around and I'm munching on some ciobani...no issues with us!

Yogurt was a first around here, too. My kids LOVED yogurt and it was quick and easy to give.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

Yep my LO loves yogurt too! That's awesome that you make your own. Would you mind sharing the recipe?
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

My kids love yogurt and I think it is a great first food. My daughter had a blood allergy test done and while she was allergic to dairy, her reaction to yogurt was nothing. I think it is all the cultures and probiotics...

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bellababy View Post
    My kids love yogurt and I think it is a great first food. My daughter had a blood allergy test done and while she was allergic to dairy, her reaction to yogurt was nothing. I think it is all the cultures and probiotics...
    That's what i read...the cultures in yogurt and cheese make those foods pretty safe for most babies under one.
    I'm Melanie

First time mom to my sweet baby girl born October 2010
    Still
    We full-time and love it!

I just want to put it out there that it is not recommended to give yogurt to a baby or child that is allergic to dairy I am happy to hear that your baby did not show any outward signs of a reaction, but I just want anyone who may be reading this thread who has a dairy allergic child to know that any form of dairy, including yogurt, is not a safe food to offer their lo.