Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very sad - might have to stop BFing

Default Very sad - might have to stop BFing

Hi All,

DD is 6.5months old. She has been EBF for the first 4 months and then started getting EBM in a bottle during the day and I nursed in the evenings, at night and in the morning before going to work.
    Since returning to work I have developed either major depression or PND and I need to take an antidepressant (Zoloft). According to the package insert lactation is a contra-indication.
    DD now has to be weaned and she (and I) cried so much last night that in the end I decided to stuff it and let her nurse - she then fell asleep and only woke once to nurse during the night. She did NOT want a bottle
    Obviously I will need to give her formula after my freezer stash is depleted, but I was wondering if it will be OK to nurse her only during the night - will she get a lot of the drug in and what is the risks involved? Have any of you been in a similar situation?
    I will phone the paed this morning to get her opinion as well (she is very pro-BFing) and will also ask a psychiatrist.
    I will appreciate any constructive feedback or suggestions as I am feeling even more depressed at the thought of having to stop nursing her during the night. It is not so much the thought of her not getting BM as the thought of her feeling rejected at not being able to nurse from mom.

Default Re: Very sad - might have to stop BFing

You should visit Dr Hale's Website. I think Zoloft is actually fairly safe. If it isn't he will have a substitute....but I think Zoloft is fairly safe. I think there are several people here who have used it while breastfeeding. I am sure some of them will be here in the morning. Don't worry Mama. I don't think you need to quit.

Way too lazy for formula

with the PP.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Mama I took Zoloft and bf my son. Please double check Dr. Hale's site, as I understand very little is passed into breastmilk.
    Proud mama to Ryan born 6-19-10

We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.
    - Anais Nin

You can also call infantrisk during normal business hours. The counselors there are really helpful. They'll ask about the dose of zoloft you were prescribed, how old your LO is, how much they weigh, and how often they nurse. Then they'll explain how much is known about the safety of nursing while taking the zoloft. They can probably suggest alternatives to talk to your doctor about, also.

I took Zoloft while BFing my first. I talked it over with the psychiatrist, and he showed me research that showed while a small, small amount was in the milk, the blood levels of Zoloft in the infants was none. I decided I could live with that amount of risk in order to continue to nurse and give my baby what he needed. I've since talked to several other docs, and they all say the same thing (even though I no longer need Zoloft). Please do not stop nursing because of this!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

i am taking zoloft right now and nursing. i was sooo worried about it but all of our doctors say it is ok. my sons ped made me feel so much better when he compared the warning label to the warning label on infant Tylenol which says that it should only be used for children 2 and over but it is for infants lol! warning labels can be scary but sometimes unnecessarily so

Killian Patrick Oct 27 2006
    Brigid Noel April 13 2008 (formula fed and it was the worst experience ever!!!!!)
    Declan Charles March 28 2011

My midwife prescribed me zoloft for postpartum depression and I took it while nursing starting when my LO was 1 month.
    Working mom to

Gabbie 3/8/02 BF 15 months

Rose 6/5/04 BF 18 months

Will 10/6/09 BF 22 months and counting

I take zolft & BF. You are not the only one. I was very worried too but our doctors say that it is the safest drug to take while BF'ing & the benefits for mommy & baby of BF'ing are worth continuing.

Thanks for the encouragement - I also spoke to the paed and he said it is absolutely fine because so little gets into the BM Now for a happy mom and baby!