Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need ME time! help!?

Default I need ME time! help!?

I have to be completely honest. I love to breast feed my son, it's the best feeling in the world to know that I am giving him the best, and I'm also giving breast milk to our 3 year old daughter (who was bottlefed) and I plan to keep at it for at LEAST a year! ... but sometimes I feel kinda, trapped. My son eats all day so I don't have much too pump ( i may get lucky with half and ounce when i pump). I feel like I can't get out and have any "me"' time without worrying if he gets hungry (he refuses formula) and I'm never sleeping... (he's on a horrid schedule which i don't undertand what's going on, he's waking every 1-2 hours and it's been going on for a month) . Is there anything I can do to get him to take formula too?? (we have similac and he used to take it when he was 8 weeks, but now hates it).

My husband, bless his heart, helps me out and even stays awake when I feed our son, but I need to do something to help save my sanity here, and maybe even get a full nights rest for once. Any suggestions? ideas? please help

Default Re: I need ME time! help!?

My Dh used to take the baby downstairs right after I fed him and watch him until I was absolutely needed. Sometimes just being able to lay in bed and read a book, surf the web, etc can help

I used to also get completely ready to leave the house then wait unto the next nursing session, feed the baby and then run out for an hour alone.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

how old is your son?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

that's kind of our system right now. I hope to goodness i'm not coming off as an ungrateful mother or complaining and whining. I love my babies so much and I want to be around them all the time and meet their needs, especialy LO who needs his mama's milk! I just feel kinda nervous when I do get to go out and run an errand by myself, or drive around that my sweet boy will have cry fest or he needs to eat or something. If i'm not making any sense, blame the lack of sleep! lol

he is 23 weeks old

I would book an appointment for a hair cut or a pedi or something you enjoy (window shopping for an hour, a nice walk, etc) and nurse baby just before you go. I found an hour or two out by myself would do wonders (better than sleep for me, lol). I wouldn't supplement with formula when you're gone, but rather time it so that you nurse just before you leave and be back 2 hours later. If baby gets hungry before you get back, would dad be able to distract for a little while? I found that when I was out, dh did much better distracting my son than if I was there in the house. It's almost like my son knew I was in the next room and wouldn't let up until he could see me, but if I was gone he seemed to do better with dh. Don't feel guilty for needing a break We all need breaks. About the sleeping, it's normal (sadly, lol) for babies to wake at night at this age are you co-sleeping?
    ~Jenn~

mother of 2 boys!
    08/14/98~~03/20/08

Birth: 7lbs 12oz, 1 year: 22lbs 11oz
    until he self-weaned 4 days before his third birthday ... still on occasion ... and happily

************************************************** ************************************************** *****************
    People need to understand that when they're deciding between breastmilk and formula, they're not deciding between Coke and Pepsi.... They're choosing between a live, pure substance and a dead substance made with the cheapest oils available. ~Chele Marmet

oh yes! co sleeping is a must for me. LOL , our son does the same thing, he can SENSE ME! i feel like a walking milk bottle haha. I will keep on keeping on!! I think we will do that, just time his feedings and get out when i can.

And keep reminding yourself that this will not last forever/is a short segment in your life. . . Etc.
    I also found that getting out for lll meetings with baby helped me by getting in some adult conversation.
    Proud mom of 2 boys, both weaned gradually and with love.

Find a local LLL leader

For each and every one of us, the person from whom we can learn the most is our own baby: listen to him. - Mary White, LLL co-founder

The best-kept secret in child psychology is that children who were never spanked are among the best behaved."
    Murray Straus, Ph.D.

Pretty soon you won't have to worry about formula. You can just leave baby with some solids. As long as you're back in 2-3 hours, he should be fine!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

One thing we used to do for me to get out was plan a day when I would meet my friends at the mall or somewhere for a day of shopping (this was with my son who refused a bottle of pumped milk, my daughter would be fine with dh). My hubby would meet me there with the baby, I would nurse him, and then dh would bring him home. That would give me up to 5-6 hrs of 'me time', even though it was interrupted half way through with a nursing session. But honestly, I wanted to have the meetup because then I seemed to enjoy my time that much more, because I wasn't worried all day that the baby and hubby were miserable.