Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help for step-daughter

Default Re: Help for step-daughter

I actually would want him evaluated if she is sure he is getting enough milk.

I mean, there are babies that are small, yes. But he's gained 3 lbs in 5 months. That honestly does warrant investigation, don't you think? I'm not saying it's necessarily her supply, if the baby has enough wet and poopy diapers, but you don't think that is something to look into?
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

So, the recommendation is to go ahead and supplement with formula if this doctor says to? Or start solids even though there is a possibility of a digestive issue, food allergy or intolerance? Mama is really upset at the idea of giving him formula. I am trying my best to advocate for her. She has contacted another doctor who is pro-BF, but the wait for an appointment is a couple months at best.
    LLL Grandma! My nurslings are 21, 24 and 25 ... I was a Leader back in the day (some of YOU were nurslings then!) Now I'm supporting my (step)daughters nursing their babes!

I'm not necessarily saying that. What does the GI doc say about baby physically? I mean, why do you think he's gained so little? If it's a physical issue supplementing won't help. But if her supply is truly low, first feed the baby, kwim? It's not ideal and hopefully she could resolve the issue and go back to ebf. But yeah, the weight gain is concerning. If you were talking about an older baby that had slowed in weight gain it would be a different story. But as you know, bf babies typically grow quickly initially. My son gained 11 lbs the first 6 months, but only gained 2 between 6-11 months. The doctors say that's a normal growth pattern for a bf baby though.
    Mama to five beautiful kids- 9, 8, 3, 2 and currently nursing our new baby girl born 1/20/2013

"It should not be necessary to tell reasonably intelligent mammals to suckle and not dismember their neonates." ~Susan Blustein

We haven't seen this doctor yet so we do not know what he will find yet - could be a metabolic issue or a digestive one, we don't know yet. We go tomorrow morning. We have heard that he is anti-breastfeeding and will recommend not just supplementing but putting baby on the bottle and solid foods. I came hoping to get advice on how to talk him out of this - to defend continued breastfeeding, and also how to improve the quality of mama's milk.

Supply does not seem to be an issue, he goes through plenty of diapers, is content and nurses every 3 to 4 hours most days, sometimes more frequently, and he is nursing once or twice in the night. She has enough to nurse and pump an additional 10 to 16 ounces a day. But he is not nursing for comfort very much, and does not nurse for long - 10 minutes per side, preferring his thumb to the breast as soon as his hunger is satisfied, so I am concerned he is not getting much hindmilk with all the fat and calories. Could her diet have that much of an affect on the quality of her milk? She's young and prefers pizza to pot roast, but it's not terrible, just not optimal and with a lot more sugar and carbs than I feel is a good idea (my husband and I follow a paleo style of eating). I don't know what else to tell her or how to support her in her wishes to continue breastfeeding.
    LLL Grandma! My nurslings are 21, 24 and 25 ... I was a Leader back in the day (some of YOU were nurslings then!) Now I'm supporting my (step)daughters nursing their babes!

I don't think you should be so concerned about her diet, yes it may not be optimal, but if she is getting enough calories and taking vitamins, it should be fine. if anything i'd be pushing things that might help with supply (oatmeal for example) and lay off about the rest of it, even though I know you are just concerned about her health. See this excellent link about diet and milk content: http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-diet.html

Also you say she is feeding 1-2 times a night. Is it possible for her to sneak in an extra feeding? If I was concerned with my baby's weight I would be offering as often as possible, every 2 hrs around the clock, even at night.
    Christine
    Can't believe I've been and a full-time SAHM to Elena (5/2010) for over 2 yrs!
    Mami de mi preciosa Elenita
    http://forums.llli.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=32384&dateline=131170  7429 OakRoseCharms Free Shipping for LLLadies just pm me! My Blog