Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to OALD idea... welcome ANY and ALL help!!

Default New to OALD idea... welcome ANY and ALL help!!

I posted the following on another board, not even realizing that this board was here... I am just now catching on to the idea that my son and I may be struggling with OALD and I'm just PRAYING for relief from the horrible nursing sessions we have, I hate to see him cry so much. Please help if you can!

How would you block feed when only one side has OALD? I'm afraid of losing the supply on the other side. Milk shoots out during and a little after let down on my right side but never on my left. I thought about pumping my left side during the time that I'm using the right side only, but pumping or BF on my left side always makes my right side let down... Is that okay? Also, I think my baby now HATES breastfeeding because of dealing with the OALD, what are some ways to improve our breastfeeding relationship? Thanks!

Default Re: New to OALD idea... welcome ANY and ALL help!!

Hi! I answered you up above but wanted to tell you that most kids learn to cope w/OALD. It takes patience and persistence on your part. It also really helps if you can nurse in a semi sitting up position. IT helps them to cope w/ over flow. Hang in there!

I added a reply on the other thread before I saw this one. I had that problem with mine,too. He was throwing up at every meal and actually had to be hospitalized for dehydration. I nursed him reclined or lying down, and after 6 long months, he grew into the supply. My son was always very gassy from gulping! It will get better!

Thanks for your response! I guess the most comforting thing is that I know now that I'm not alone. I've already begun emptying before I feed him and it seems to help. He only unlatched 3 times during our last nursing session at 8pm. He was only on for a total of 10 minutes... this is still okay, right? I know I'm not supposed to watch the clock but maybe I noticed the quickness of it because I'm used to those hour long grueling crying feedings! And actually while hand expressing my milk I can totally see why he struggles! That stuff flies out in every direction!!! He did a lot to put up with it as long as he did. Anymore advice is DEFINETLY welcome. Is it normal for him to unlatch a few times still? Of course, I just started so I shouldn't expect much, but I'm just wondering... Should I wake up at night to express from my OALD side? Or should I just express some before going to bed? For the past week and a half he has usually slept from 11pm to 5-6am, so I don't usually feed anyways, but I DEFINETLY don't want to add engorgement and mastitis to my "breastfeeding adventures" list Sorry for all the questions!!!! Thanks for your help.

The unlatching is a sign that he IS coping. He's anticipating strong letdown and trying to get out of the way. Another thing you may see in weeks to come is "clicking" which my son did for Months. He used his tongue to control the flow! Your on your way! Good luck!

Hi,

I love your son's name .

I'm glad you found us over here. You are definitely not alone.

When ds pulls off, you can use a cloth diaper or a towel to catch the spray. Then, when that initial strong letdown subsides, you can put him back on and it should be easier for him to cope.

As far as expressing in the middle of the night is concerned, it depends upon how your breast feels. If you are starting to feel engorged, definitely get up and hand express, just a little, until you are comfortable. You could even keep a cloth diaper in bed with you and express into that so you don't even need to get up .

Does ds nurse well on the side that doesn't have OALD? Just curious.

Hang in there,

Tiana

Tiana- Well, he was preferring it to the other, but for the past couple of days he refuses both, but takes the NON OALD one for a little longer before he pulls off. I believe I've messed up a little because I've used that side more frequently because I thought he preferred it and while hand expressing yesterday I noticed multiple lovely fire hoses(!) coming from that breast as well. It still feels less full than the other though, all the time... I'm starting my first full blocking day today. So far Asher has had 3 feedings on the right side, 1 extra because he did not eat a complete meal during the 2nd feeding (decided to mess his diaper halfway through!) I'll update later, I know not to EXPECT to see much improvement just yet, but I am PRAYING I have at least a slightly happier baby by the evening!!!
    Jennifer

Jennifer,

Definitely keep me posted. You're right not to expect dramatic overnight improvement with the block feeding, but it will happen if you keep at it. You'll probably notice that both sides even out over time, too. And remember, as he gets older, his need for milk and ability to keep up will improve, too.

You can do it !

Tiana

10 minutes is plenty of time!! My son fed in just a few minutes at a time and was a whopping 23.5 lbs at 6 mo. Remeber, what comes in goes out, so if you're seeing plenty of wet diapers he's fine. I think you should probably just let your breasts adjust to his nursing and not pump, and they'll eventually even out, but of course you need to do what is right for you. I know how uncomfortable it is to be engourged. I never had to remember which side I nursed last time because I could easily feel the weight of the next boob. It will all work out. Don't feel bad for hosing down your baby; he's just glad to get his Mama's milk, however it comes!!

Just a quick note before bed to let you wonderful helpful ladies know that tonight DID go better than the past week!! Asher is content, my boobs are a little full, but it is all worth it. I have DEFINETLY noticed a difference during feedings. First off I wake him up for feedings for the most part, then I unlatch him and give myself a good squeeze and he latches back on and gets his groove on! He has unlatched (only from the right side) multiple times during 2 feedings, but this time there was hardly any crying!!!! It was like he was thinking "Oh, here comes that darn fire hose, back up back up! Okay, all is clear, gimme gimme gimme!!!" You know what I mean. I have a MUCH lighter heart tonight and look forward to MANY MANY more nights and days of successful breastfeeding and bonding!!! He also had a BM tonight that surprised both me and my hubby (who was holding him)... we didn't even know it! Normally Asher is thrashing about and VERY whiny during a BM, often spending 10 or more minutes straining. Tonight he was half asleep in hubby's arms and had one!! (TMI) I was so happy for him!! Who ever thought I'd be happy about someone's BM??? Thanks everyone!!! I'll continue to update because I know this can be a long process and a little bit of a roller coaster ride... Thanks for all the support.
    Jennifer