Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping sessions at work

Question Pumping sessions at work

I just went back to work last week, I tried pumping 3 times between 8 and 4.30 but my workload is quite hectic and I cannot fit in the 3 pumping sessions any longer. I usually nurse my son @6.30am, pump @10am, then 2pm, then nurse again @6pm. I pump for about 15-20mins and get 4-5oz which has been enough for the last 2 days. I can also pump one more time before bed. I am just worried pumping only twice in the day will decrease my supply - or will i be ok? My LO usually takes about 10oz while I am at work. Any advice will be helpful.

Default Re: Pumping sessions at work

How old is your little one? I was mostly pumping twice while I was working (I am a teacher off for the summer) and I was getting enough for him while I was gone. I know some women are more sensitive to less frequent pumping. I would think that two more relaxed pumping sessions would be more productive, however, than three more stressful ones. The only way you can know for sure is to try it.
    I am Erin--happily married to the nerd of my dreams for 15 years
    High School Science Teacher
    Mother to: Thing 1 9/23/01, bf 15 mo, diagnosed with stage 4 neuroblastoma 1/29/02, officially cancer free for ten years in August 2012
    Thing 2 6/6/05, bf 12 mo, obsessed with dynamite
    Glowworm 2/18/11, bf 15 months and counting

I'd see how it goes that way and if you start getting less you might want to try to add another pump in. Is 2pm your lunch?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My LO is 11 weeks.

If you don't have a hands-free bra and a nursing cover, get one. You might be able to work in that third session while typing on the computer, checking e-mail or driving.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I actually have both a hands-free bra and nursing cover; very handy with my first LO. My office is all glass, so no privacy. How can i drive and pump--I'd like any tips on that.

Hook up, start your car and drive off and let the pump do its thing. Don't bother with compressions -- keep your hands on the wheels (except at stop lights). It's actually, for me, the easiest pumpings because I don't sit there and think about it and think about how much I hate pumping. I get less than what I would if I was doing compressions, but it's better than nothing, and if done regularly (like every day) you would probably work up to getting a feeding from it.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

When I have pumped while driving, I have just pumped one side and kept the other one on the wheel. I have never gotten comfortable w/ my hands-free set-up, and I don't pump enough to need a Simply Wishes or other hands-free bra.

Like Susan said, I don't get as much as I would if I pumped both sides together, but something is better than nothing.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

I used a nursing cover while driving. Sometimes I would almost forget about the pump, the letdowns would start coming, and I'd spill milk into my lap! So check at red lights!

You definitely need a handsfree set up to do this. Jeno, you drove one handed?!! Having a handsfree bra that is tight enough to keep the flanges in place is key.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

Thanks for all your tips, I will try pumping on my way to/back from work.