Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stockpiling...making enough??

Default Stockpiling...making enough??

Hiya ladies,
    I'm new here but had a quick question. I've read up on all the resources about women worrying whether or not they truly have enough milk. My son will be 7 weeks on Thursday, I went back to work yesterday
    I had some milk stored in preparation for this day, but yesterday when i was at work and pumped i was only able to get enough for 2 feedings. I got maybe 8 ozs (4 ozs per feeding) and I pumped every 2 hours. I'm doing it again today but I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to stockpile enough milk for when he's at the sitters. Any tips as to what I can do?

Also...I'm a little bit lopsided. I usually get a full ounce more out of my right breast, anything I can do to somewhat even this out?

Thank you for your help!!!

Default Re: Stockpiling...making enough??

How long are you away from your son? And how much did he drink yesterday?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I drop him off at 7am and don't get him until 5pm. My husband picked him up from daycare so I'm not exactly sure what he ate. I pick him up today so I will find out exactly what he did.

I should specify that I am not 100% sure he eats 4 ozs at each feeding, but that's what the bottles are so that's what I'm putting in the freezer bags.

Some women have to add a pumping in the evening, or on the way to or from work, to get enough for the next day. I pumped in the car a lot. Yes, even while driving. I also found my body kind of "learned" to let down for the pump over time, so my production went up. Are you doing breast compressions and massaging your breasts while you pump? That makes a HUGE difference in how much I can pump.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

What does the daycare do if he doesn't finish the bottle? Do they offer him the bottle again? I would probably send several 2.5 ounce bottles for a while...

You could add another session of pumping in, also how long do you pump for?

Babies generally need 1 to 1.5 ounce per hour away from Mom. So you're not that far off.
    Tracie

Mommy to

I was thinking that practice will make perfect for you

Don't forget to do your compressions, and pump for about 5 minutes after you stop getting milk. Those two things will help increase your supply over time. Hopefully not by too much so you can be comfortable on days off!

Also, try putting it in smaller increments in the bottle. A lot of babies who are nursed as well as bottlefed don't really need or take 4 full oz at that age. My 6 month old will take that much, but he sure wasn't at 7-8 weeks of age! The bottle amount is arbitrary. You don't want to offer the DCP the chance to throw any out. You can also tell them that if he doesn't finish a bottle of BM in one sitting to let him finish it at the next; it doesn't go bad within an hour like formula does.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I talked to daycare, she said she's giving him 3 bottles a day. Sometimes he finishes the full 4 ozs but spits up, other times he doesn't finish the full 4. I think I'm gonna start storing 3 ozs at a time and see how that goes. It's a private in home daycare so I don't imagine she's throwing out the breastmilk (she had to go back to work with her sone before doing daycare) and he's the only baby there right now.
    I managed to pump this morning before leaving for work and before nursing and got a full 3 ozs, still lopsided though. I feel better knowing that he's not devouring all the milk I'm sending since I feel like I'm only getting a little out during the day.

I use a PIS and I'm not sure how to do compressions while pumping (I'm new to all this, I didn't have to pump with my older son)? I'm afraid if I don't hold them on my boobies I'll lose suction or they'll fall and dump milk everywhere? I usually pump for between 10-15 mins depending on what time allows...is this a good time frame, especially if I'm trying to pump every 2-3 hours? I'm also eating oatmeal for breakfast, does this really help? It's instant kind so does that make a difference?

Thanks again ladies for all your input!!

What I do while pumping, I guess is called compressions, but basically I squeeze the ladies the whole time I'm pumping. I do not look cool while doing this. I am leaned over, generally with my forearms on my legs, holding the horns and squeezing the ladies. I can't even get milk out with the pump on the right side if I'm not doing that.

Also, for the lopsided-ness... Does it matter? Sometimes I'll get one ounce out of the left and 6 out of the right. Yesterday morning I got 4 ounces out of the left and 2 out of the right. Most of the time, my right side is the larger producer and yesterday I think it was because I had nursed all night on the right side, accidentally.

ETA: If there's any way you can pump for longer, I would do it. You will get more milk out that way. The other thing I have had to do is add a session on the weekends... I pump when my baby is sleeping during her morning nap.
    Tracie

Mommy to

Thank you for the tips, it's time to pump so I will try to handle the ladies at the same time, hopefully that'll give me a little bit more!

The only reason I'm terribly concerned about the lopsided-ness is because I'm basically busting out of my bra on the right side and not on the left, I feel quite awkward but I'm sure no one else notices. Funny that it's my right side that's the huge producer too!

I will make sure to do some pumping over the weekend while I'm home with him in hopes of keeping enough stored. That's what I was doing before I went back to work and I was able to get the full 4 ozs when I would pump 1-2x a day on top of nursing so that's why it was so concerning that coming to work I wasn't getting that much.

It's all a learning process I suppose so I'll keep working at it and doing my best!

I feel the same way, about the appearance. I can see the difference. Sometimes I think others can. I ask my DH and he says he doesn't care, he just wants to look at them.

You may have been more comfortable pumping at home. What was funny for me, with my older daughter, was that at some point I couldn't pump at home anymore. I just wasn't comfortable for some reason.
    Tracie

Mommy to