Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: pump making gurgling sound?

Default pump making gurgling sound?

Just finished my afternoon pump. Right after my let down the pump started making this weird gurgling sound and didn't seem to suck as hard. I checked all the tubing, connections etc. The membrane looks okay, but I'll probably go ahead and change it tonight anyway.

I read somewhere that there might be milk in the motor and that I should try running water through it? Any idea how to do this or if that might help? I really don't want to have to drop $250 on another pump if I don't have to!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

Default Re: pump making gurgling sound?

I would not run water through the motor without calling customer support. What kind of pump do you have again? Medela has excellent customer support. I've heard of ladies getting an entire new pump overnighted before.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Its a Pump In Style. Not the backpack kind, just the regular. It's a few years old though, so I doubt I could get a new one. Thanks though, I think I will give them a call!
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10

I would not put water through a pump! If milk will mess it up, so will water.

What did Medela CS say?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

They said to test the valves and to take the front off and inspect the pump while it was pumping to make sure there weren't any leaks. I did that and then test pumped again. The suction seems to be back up to par and the noise stopped. I'll probably replace the valves and membranes anyway, but I have not real clue as to what's going on. May just be that its getting old.
    Jessie

DH Mike 3/15/03

Riley Patrik 10/30/06

Gavyn Oliver 12/1/10