Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wondering about supply as we introduce solids

Default Wondering about supply as we introduce solids

I'm a working mom who pumps 4x a day and nurses when we're together. I started the pureed solids on the day my daughter turned 6 months - she's about to turn 8 months. I keep track of my ounces that I pump (more so to keep track of the time rather than the ounces) and I noticed going back to the day I started that my supply has slowly but steadily decreased. To compound matters, my pump started to die and I just replaced it yesterday. I'm not sure how much that affected my supply.

I know that solids will begin to replace breastmilk, but she's not getting that much - just enough for "fun." She gets 1-2 ounces 2x per day, 5 days per week. I don't give her anything at home at night with me, and weekends I usually don't give her anything. I guess I didn't think it would be enough to affect my supply. Does it sound right to you?

Default Re: Wondering about supply as we introduce solids

It's pretty common to have pump output decrease with time, particularly if your pump is dying. As your baby transitions to a majority-solids diet, your supply will drop bit by bit, but I'm more inclined to blame your pump for decreased output, since the amount of solids your baby is eating is still pretty small.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

w/ PP

If AF hasn't started back yet, she probably soon will, and that can contribute. My output has dropped off over the last few weeks, and we do the same as you w/r/t solids (none at nights or on weekends). One thing I haven't done (yet) is add a weekend session or two (mostly because I can't bear to lug that damn pump out when my baby is right there, but that can definitely boost your supply and provide you with a few extra ounces to fill in the gaps.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Thanks! I thought that I wasn't giving her enough to affect it "that" much - thanks for confirming.

I feel the same way about the pump - I don't want to do any more than I have to! However, I've been adding a session first thing in the morning on weekends when I can.

A/F hasn't returned but I did feel crampy yesterday..hmmm..

My output is increasing slightly w/the new pump - it's only been a day (6 pumps), but I'm already starting to notice it.

Thanks for your help!