Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My fifteen Month old isn't eating much at all!

Default My fifteen Month old isn't eating much at all!

Ladies - how much should my 15 month old be eating? I can barely get her to eat solids. She might eat a bite of banana, a bite of sausage, some yogurt, maybe some rice. My first was such a great eater, but my second daughter isn't. She nurses a lot still at night... I'm probably up every three hours with her and that is wearing me down because I'm 12 weeks pregnant. Should I be concerned with the lack of solids or just keep introducing and nursing?
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Default Re: My fifteen Month old isn't eating much at all!

Wow, your LO eats banana, sausage, yogurt and rice? that is a nice variety of food.
    Your right, the first trimester is exhausting. as your pregnancy progresses your LO will gravitate towards eating more.
    she might even like the independence of drinking fluids out of a sippy cup.
    some babies nurse through out their moms pregnancy while increasing their solid food intake. Other babies wean due to the change in taste and quantity of the milk.
    DD#1 July 1986 VB
    DD#2 April 1988 c/sec
    DS#3 April 1990 VBAC
    DS#4 June 1993 VB
    and suprise!
    DD#5 April 2001 c/sec
    BTDT scars and stretchmarks,: wrinkles and grey hair

Keep introducing and nursing (if you can stand to do so when pregnant!). Many kids don't eat much solid food until well into their second year. As long as your child is happy and healthy and growing appropriately, I don't think you need to worry. Just keep putting healthy food choices in front of her and trust that eventually she will decide that she wants to eat them. Don't fall into the trap of offering unhealthy choices just because they are something your kid is gauranteed to eat- that just sets you up for years of battles over food.

At 15 months, I think you should feel free to start the night-weaning process, especially if you feel like cutting out the nighttime sessions will help you continue on during the day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

How would you recommend starting to night wean? I tried one night and she just cried. I would hold her and comfort her, but she just wailed.. my husband tried too and she just screamed...

I will say that last night she actually ate. She had half of banana, some bread, and then probably about 8 tblspoons of homemade yogurt (which she loved) so she slept a little better last night than before.

I actually realized that I think I was slowly getting into that trap of giving her snacky foods becasue thats what she would eat.. and its harder now having two kids because whatever she sees her sister eating she wants to eat (not that she eats unhealthy) so last night I made some homemade icecream in my vitamix and told the girls they could only have some if they ate their dinner so the baby got a couple of bites since she ate better than usual.

What are some good snack ideas? I think my 15 month old likes to snack.... as opposed to sitting down and eating a meal..
    : breastfeeding mamma to our second daughter Gwendolyn Rose born 3/26/10 and to my 31 month old sweetie Alayna.

Snacking is a very normal toddler eating pattern. It's generally better to roll with it than to try to get the kid to eat "meals". Good toddler snacks:
    Toast fingers
    Fruit tray
    Veggies and dip (hummus, yogurt, peanut dip, etc.)
    Cheerios
    Shredded cheese
    Often presentation can get a reluctant eater interested. Snack trays, bunnies made out of cottage cheese with raisin eyes and carrot stick ears- get creative and you might get some good results!

ETA: a lot of moms have tried the Jay Gordon night-weaning method with good results. It's not "no-cry" but it's not heartless, either.

I have a thirteen-month-old who is more of a snacker than a meal-eater, so I thought I'd chime in with what works for us.

I do sit him in his high chair for three "meals" per day, offering him a wide variety of foods. However, he doesn't typically eat much at these meals, so I fill in gaps with snacks. For snacks, I offer any kind of fresh fruit (my DS loves fruit), cut up pieces of cucumber, crackers, cheese, bread, fruit snacks, yogurt melts, Cheerios, or cut up cereal bar. I usually try to include a grain in every snack because my DS is not a huge fan of carbs and typically avoids them at meals in favor of fruit, veggies, or dairy. I also offer a sippy of cow's milk with his snacks (we're working on weaning).

I let him snack while playing which seems to work for us. He'll play a little bit, crawl over to me, and have a little nibble, play again, crawl over, nibble again, etc. I am careful to not let him nibble an hour before a meal will be served.

This works for us. My little guy just has too much energy right now to sit still and enjoy a meal.