Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Question about Lipase

Default Question about Lipase

My milk tends to have a strong "soapy" after taste if i've pumped and stored it in the freezer. It's probably the lipase. Since this is an enzyme that helps digest the milk fat, does this mean that when it gives the milk this funny after taste it's no longer active? Is it harder for the baby to digest the fat?

Default Re: Question about Lipase

I'm not sure, but I think it actually helps the baby digest the fat. It is digesting it already... my milk would taste like vomit (partially digested milk).
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think it actually helps the baby digest the fat. It is digesting it already... my milk would taste like vomit (partially digested milk).
    Sorry, what i meant was, when this enzyme has that soapy taste (usually after the milk has been thawed out after being frozen for a period of time), does it still help the baby digest the milk fat EASILY? or does it no longer do that? There's probably other enzymes at work that could help the milk fat? In all why does it get a soapy after taste? What happens chemically and what are the consequences for that?

The fat has already been partially broken down by the lipase present in the milk. It's not harder for baby to digest, and baby has its own lipase enzymes that are released for digestion.

The soapy aftertaste, IIRC from biochemistry about 20 years ago, is simply the breakdown products of the fats. They are not harmful, just taste awful. It's not rancid, like a rancid fat; it just smells like one. Just a partially digested one, and the taste and odor is no longer the same.

I am not aware of any long term health consequences. I have my own theories, but there's no scientific research (yet) to prove anything one way or the other. IMHO, though, I think moms can better protect the health of their child by a) feeding straight from the tap as much as possible and b) feeding milk that has not been stored for long (as fresh as possible) and c) if they have a lipase problem, scalding to prevent the milk from being digested enough to be refused by baby. Even scalded, frozen milk is better than formula.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!