Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Research on Pumping

Default Research on Pumping

http://www.rdmag.com/News/Feeds/2011...-breast-pumps/

Sounds like they are interested in why women choose to EP, how pumping alters BM (so maybe we will someday have an answer on lipase!) and the effects on mom and baby health.

I could tell them without research, though, that EPing usually leads to early weaning. I don't know many moms who pump until their child is 2, but I know plenty who nurse until they have older toddlers.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Default Re: Research on Pumping

Hmmm... I wonder if they will find out that the reason more women are doing it is because it's a bottle feeding culture?

And I agree that EPing leads to early weaning... I don't think most women set out to pump for two or more years.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

That's kind of what I was thinking. Because you're supposed to feed with a bottle.

We also live in a culture of separation. Babies are pushed to sleep separate. Babies are pushed in strollers. I can't tell you how many times I've had a new mom call me freaking out because the baby wants to be on her all the time. I get that it's hard -- heck, I've had my own freak-outs too because I'm really touched out -- but it's what it is supposed to be like. But society doesn't like that and pushes baby away. EPing changes how you interact with baby.

I am really hoping they will get to the root of the lipase issue. Is that because of the pump -- and that could change pump technology -- or is originating in the mother, or is it a dietary issue or what? I thawed some milk yesterday, and while it was fine for immediate feeding, I could smell it after just a few hours What if that happens to the entire like 3000 oz or so I have frozen?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Oh no! Susan, I hope that's not the case. Can you go ahead and start scalding what you're freezing now?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

The link didn't work for me.

Looks like they took it down. I'll check around later and see if I can find a new one. Boo. Hiss.

ETA: I haven't decided what I'll do. It might work to just thaw it as I need it, kwim. And tell the mom I've been donating a bit for to do the same. She hasn't said anything about it to me though.
    Susan