Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: still OALD...baby refusing to nurse now

Default Re: still OALD...baby refusing to nurse now

Quote Originally Posted by Angela View Post
    I am just curious, what's oald?
    Overacitve Let Down. It's when your milk ejection reflex (when your milk lets down) is very strong. It often goes hand in hand with an oversupply of milk. It can cause gagging, choking, sputtering, pulling off while nursing, coughing and a refusal to nurse period.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Today is not going so well. She gets hysterical when I try to feed her, she doesn't even try initially. I hate to say it but I gave her a pacifier and she sucked on it for a few minutes and it calmed her enough to nurse again. I am not sure if I should continue this but it worked today. She will only nurse sitting up (which is really ackward) but towards the end of the feeding she will lay down.

Last night she nursed okay, I think because she was so sleepy.

I will try the podcast but my speakers don't always work on my cpu.

I had a problem when my son was first born that my doctors insisted was gerd. He threw up during every meal, and I knew it was because my supply was so plentiful and my let down was hard bc my breasts are very large. It helped when I nursed him leaning back in in a recliner, or I would lay flat on a bed and drape him over me and nurse up so he wouldn't gag. I made a BIG mistake of pumping before I fed him and really boosted my milk. I had trouble with a low supply with my firstborn so I had to do the opposit of everything I did before! I hope you find a solution!

could it be something in your diet that she might be finding distasteful when it passes in the breastmilk? Try to think of anything new that you have ingested. All my babies really disliked nursing if I ate or drank garlic,coffee, tomato sauces and when I had a terrible case of mastitis my daughter refused to nurse because of the taste of the antibiotics.Also I could never workout very had because they did not like the taste of the amino acids the body produces when we sweat. My midwife told me they pass in the milk after a workout and most babies can taste the bitterness. I have been told that drinking distilled water during and after workouts helps eliminate the a. acids. Sometimes even the residue of a new soap can offend a baby with sensitive tastes and smell. Just a thought! I hope things work out for you both.try to get more sleep-- that helps everything!!!

Hi! I'm blockfeeding...same as Wyatt's mama...2 times on each side before switching...that's usually about a 4 hour block, but sometimes less (DS has been eating more frequently lately, but I still do 2x on one side).

I was wondering the same as you when I started blockfeeding...how long did I have to do it? I tried to stop and it was ok for awhile, then things got worse again, so I just decided to keep it going. Now it is my normal, I don't ever get engorged anymore, and I think I'm going to stick with it. I like thinking how DS is getting the good hinkmilk every time I'm feeding for the 2nd time on the same breast.

Good luck. I hope your LO starts eating better soon. It is so sad when they won't eat...I totally understand how you are feeling bad for your LO...I felt that way too.
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

Quote Originally Posted by staceyinsamoa View Post
    I hate to say it but I gave her a pacifier and she sucked on it for a few minutes and it calmed her enough to nurse again. I am not sure if I should continue this but it worked today.
    I do that too...I think it reminds him of the sucking motion . Or you can give her your pinky finger...Ds likes that too...I get him sucking and then switch to boob! sneaky. Well keep up the block feedings! EVen go longer if you have to on each side...get her used to the feeling of less milk everywhere. Can you feel your letdown? Have you tried pulling your boob away and letting it flow into a diaper or burb cloth? Now DS is starting to suck suck suck...pull off suck suck suck pull off and then as soon as the let down comes it just sprays all over his face (he starts laughing) and then he goes back to eating...this has been the last couple of days. ANyway...keep us posted. Also maybe try cold compresses on your breast for 10 minutes after feeding! This should slow milk production as well.

Stacey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your using a pacifier for this purpose. If it gets her to nurse, do what works! The main concern LLL has about pacifier use is that, when it is relied upon heavily, it can diminish milk supply and lead to premature weaning. Since you clearly have plenty of milk, this is not an issue.

Jenny, I personally was never able to give up block-feeding completely. (Except for when I was pg, but that's a different story). As long as baby is still getting plenty to eat, do what makes your breasts feel good.

Kristin, Too cute about Wyatt laughing! It sounds like the two of you are really starting to get the oversupply issue under control.

Tiana
    Last edited by LLLTiana; November 3rd, 2006 at 07:08 AM. Reason: question answered by pp