Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: still OALD...baby refusing to nurse now

Default still OALD...baby refusing to nurse now

Since I posted earlier this week, my 3 mo. old is now refusing to even try to nurse sometimes. I began block feeding on Monday but usually only 2 rounds of nursing each side. I am not sure if it is helping yet. When my LO does nurse, she is still gulping and squirming. I am trying to nurse her upright and this helps a bit but sometimes she won't nurse at all. Last night, I gave up trying after 45 minutes of screaming and put her to sleep without feeding. I felt so defeated.

Should I go longer stretches of nursing on each side? What about the other side- it gets engorged when I do this?

What can I do when she refuses to nurse?

Thanks to anyone who can help! I never realized how much it means to me to be able to nurse her until I couldn't do it.

Default Re: still OALD...baby refusing to nurse now

I am so sorry you are going through this...I have been there!! Its so frustrating!! Have you tried to nurse once your LO is sleeping? Take warm baths together and try to nurse in the bath?

You could try to cup or syringe feed her. Also for the engorged side you can hand express milk just to relieve pain...not too much though because I think the point is to send a message to the body that there is too much milk? Have you listened to the podcast on OALD?? I will find the link and post it here for you.

I hope this gets better...I know it will actually just keep at it!! When I was at my worst...LO hadn't eaten in almost 8 hours. I left for 45 minutes! DH put on some soothing music, dimmed the lights, got LO to relax and when I came back I took LO into bed and he finally nursed and nursed...I almost cried!

Just wondering...how did things get better for you? Was it the block feeding and how long did it take?

Hi Stacey,

You can go longer stretches between switching sides if you're still producing too much milk for LO to handle. As far an engorgement is concerned, hand expression, just until you are comfortable, is usually best.

Many mamas with OALD find that their babies are more willing to nurse if they hand express a little, catch that first, strong letdown in a diaper, and then put baby to the breast. You might also try nursing when baby is very sleepy, or already asleep. Sidelying is a position that works well for many OALD mamas.

Why don't you visit us over at the Too Much Milk board? You'll meet other mamas who have gone through the same thing, and they can tell you the strategies that have worked for them.

Take Care,

Tiana

Yes def. the block feeding!! It took about a 3-4 days , but I am still block feedding because I don't want that to happen again! I am just scared... I would block 4 hours on each side...now I just nurse twice on each side, sometimes 3 times if he doesn't eat that well.

How long have you been struggling with this??

Quote Originally Posted by wyattsmama View Post
    Have you listened to the podcast on OALD?? I will find the link and post it here for you.
    Here is another great thread

And another ...

And another ... The most helpful to me was listening to this podcast on oversupply/OALD.

Sleepy nursing, block feeding, warm baths together, cold compresses after nursing, and nursing her lying down with her tummy to my tummy (so that gravity works to slow the flow - pictures here) all helped us.
    Last edited by @llli*paint.the.moon; November 2nd, 2006 at 01:52 PM.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Here is the thread that I had posted. If you scroll through the podcast is there...also lots of great links...HTH

I think we have always had the problem but LO had just learned to cope with it so I thought the problem would solve itself. But Friday she started really screaming when I tried to feed her.

It is just so frustrating and I feel so bad for her.

Yes...apparently at 3 months babies that have dealt with OALD until now suddenly go haywire...so at least be encouraged that for whatever reason the 3 month mark is where the problems tend to flare!! How is today going??? I can't recommend that pod cast enough!

I am just curious, what's oald?